• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Magnum516

Magnum516

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:55 PM

I have a 4-5 year old HP Pavilion laptop, with a 550mhz k6-III processor, 32 mb or ram, and a 5.5gb hard drive, i want to do something with it instead of keeping it as a paperweight, linux doesn't work on it, but i read some posts which said i should learn unix and programming, would unix work on this computer and where is the best place to get unix? Is it free? Also on a totally different subject, i have 3 sattellite dishes, a sattellite box, but i don't know exactly what type it is, i read somwhere i can hack sattellite tv or somehting, but there has to be something more fun than free hbo, can anyone help?

#2 cerealkiller76

cerealkiller76

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

freebsd.

Although, linux should work on that. What distro did you try?

#3 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

I have a 4-5 year old HP Pavilion laptop, with a 550mhz k6-III processor, 32 mb or ram, and a 5.5gb hard drive, i want to do something with it instead of keeping it as a paperweight, linux doesn't work on it, but i read some posts which said i should learn unix and programming, would unix work on this computer and where is the best place to get unix?  Is it free? Also on a totally different subject, i have 3 sattellite dishes, a sattellite box, but i don't know exactly what type it is, i read somwhere i can hack sattellite tv or somehting, but there has to be something more fun than free hbo, can anyone help?

View Post

If it can't run linux, it won't run unix. Linux is a type of unix, basicly. You could give me the laptop :D (Seriously, you could).

As for the sattelite dishes, you can mod a wireless card to use the dish.

#4 1337

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:05 PM

I used a Pentium 90 40MB RAM 1.2 GB hard drive for quite a while last year. You could use it for web surfing. Or working on your website on the go. Or instant messaging. Just not more than one of those at the same time :P

#5 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

Linux *will* work on it, especially without a GUI. Buy some RAM for it, RAM is extremely cheap. Slap on DSL or MiniSlack and you're ready to go.

#6 Magnum516

Magnum516

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:43 PM

i tried the knoppix live boot linux, and red hat 6.0, and mandrake 10.1, they loaded up, but i couldn't find the drivers for the card slots, or the synaptics touchpad. Also, is there anything besides the wireless things, i did that allready, did nothing for me. I went on amsat.com but couldn't find anything of use. Also, whats minislack?

#7 Fracer

Fracer

H4x0r

• Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:50 PM

View Post

Whoa.... Now this sounds very interesting...... I have a standard Orionco Gold, Do you have any information where you could create a interface design to intergrate your wifi card with a satalite dish? That would be some sweet shit....

P.S: does your signal get like very very strong too?...

#8 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

View Post

Whoa.... Now this sounds very interesting...... I have a standard Orionco Gold, Do you have any information where you could create a interface design to intergrate your wifi card with a satalite dish? That would be some sweet shit....

P.S: does your signal get like very very strong too?...

View Post

http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Google!

#9 Fracer

Fracer

H4x0r

• Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:27 AM

Man, Even knowing the power of google I cant believe I asked that question.....Sometimes the obvious is hard to see. ;). Anyway thanks for the google tip...but I want to know if anyone personally in this forum build any type of satellite compatible 802.11a/b/g integrating with your wifi card? I am thinking somewhere over 30dB Gain?

#10 Fod

Fod

elite

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

I use a 500 megahertz 128 ram 5 gig laptop as one of my main computers. I run linux on it just fine. I went through 5 or 6 distrosbefore i found one that liked and ran decently fast on it. Stay away from ubuntu, it installs easy but lags on something that slow.

#11 Vangald

Vangald

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:45 AM

All you should need is a little more ram to run most slimmed down distros.

#12 RapidDemon

RapidDemon

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

That is more than enough to run Gentoo with Fluxbox

#13 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

Well, if you don't end up using it for anything, its all about eBay.

Those are some sweet specs (the last laptop I got for a family member was 333MHz), and are more than ample for alot of uses. Pretty much everything other than latest-gen games or rendering.

Edited by Seal, 08 October 2005 - 08:04 PM.

#14 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

PrimeStar WiFi Antenna:http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

#15 Polymira

Polymira

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:01 AM

Install some ram in it, install linux, and use it as a portable box to hack around with...

Shit, i would buy it off you for $150 or so =p

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!