• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 greyarea

greyarea

Dangerous free thinker

• Banned
  • 886 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:28 AM

DO NOT DIAL *8808 on any of the verizon payphones for it will Update the software in the phones and block a certin fearness from that phone, it has already started and almost everything has died. Do not reply to this asking what the hell I'm talking about for I don't know either... JUst don't dial *8808 if you want dial *test for the coin test or any of the other codes just don't update the software.
fjear

#2 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

where did you get this information?

#3 greyarea

greyarea

Dangerous free thinker

• Banned
  • 886 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:34 AM

View Post

Thats what *8808 does, it sends out an update when dialed after connecting to the preprogramed number for the update via modem.
And the update isn't a good one, that is all.

#4 ozlo

ozlo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

View Post

Thats what *8808 does, it sends out an update when dialed after connecting to the preprogramed number for the update via modem.
And the update isn't a good one, that is all.

View Post

Now everyone's going to go out and dial *8808 just to see what it does. LOL It's kind of like saying, "Don't think about God."

#5 Mr Poop

Mr Poop

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

Well then tell us the code for the coin test. :P

#6 natas

natas

De La Natas

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

Well then tell us the code for the coin test.  :P

View Post

"JUst don't dial *8808 if you want dial *test for the coin test"

#7 lucky225

lucky225

Mack Daddy 31337

• Banned
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:48 PM

Take greyarea's advice and head his warning, if you are a true phone phreak. There is something special about the Verizown payphones, but if you dial *8808 it will update the firmware to take that specialness away. Many phreaks know what we're talking about... phreaks don't let phreaks dial *8808 or something.

#8 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

i figured it would happen sooner or later. :teeth:

#9 darkslider

darkslider

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:55 PM

Take greyarea's advice and head his warning, if you are a true phone phreak.  There is something special about the Verizown payphones, but if you dial *8808 it will update the firmware to take that specialness away.  Many phreaks know what we're talking about... phreaks don't let phreaks dial *8808 or something.

View Post

That isn't phreaking, that's just toll fraud. So FOAD. :nono:
Also, you're quite brilliant for posting something here that you don't want people to do.
Now everyone is going to dial it anyway because nobody knows what it is. So essentially, you just killed it. :)

Edited by darkslider, 26 September 2005 - 10:59 PM.

#10 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,837 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

That isn't phreaking, that's just toll fraud. So FOAD.  :nono:

View Post

Hey! That's my line!

#11 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

Only dicks and retards are going to press *8808. If greyarea said it's not a good idea to press it, then it's probably not a good idea to press it. You've got to be a real dick to do it just to spite him, or real stupid guy who doesn't understand what, "no" means.

#12 greyarea

greyarea

Dangerous free thinker

• Banned
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

Now did I want it to get updated by people going out to dial it because I mentioned it or did I want to really keep it open and not have the problem corrected...?
Thats a greyarea :)

#13 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

i assume that an error 29 or 56 means the phone has been reprogrammed?

#14 greyarea

greyarea

Dangerous free thinker

• Banned
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

i assume that an error 29 or 56 means the phone has been reprogrammed?

View Post

NO those arent the phones were talking about, these are hybrids, smartphones if you most controlled by software and the real CO dialtone cannot dial any numbers other than tollfree and they have services setup with other companies to provied them with service via a toll gateway, they also can go thru operator trunks when placing intralata calls. Their all getting updated anyways remotley so this message doesnt really matter.
late

#15 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:50 AM

greyarea i think that if you call a number within that CO or maybe close to that CO, that the call gets placed directly instead of through the gateway. That happened to me before. Ever hear of that?

#16 Royal

Royal

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 431 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:51 PM

greyarea i think that if you call a number within that CO or maybe close to that CO, that the call gets placed directly instead of through the gateway. That happened to me before. Ever hear of that?

View Post

Numbers called within the LATA either hit ACTS, or for local calls, are places based on ground check.

#17 greyarea

greyarea

Dangerous free thinker

• Banned
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

View Post

When calling a regional long distance call it will go thru an operator trunk, all other calls local and LD will go thru the "Toll gateway", because you don't get the ACTS prompt for local calls. And to be able to get local calls going thru an Operator trunk you would need to call the operator and have them place the call for you however the hybrids don't allow you to call a real operator. And before you say "well you can get by that by dialing 1167 or *67, tell me where so I can see because that shit never works for me to get an operator. I can only get a real op when dialing from real acts phones that has no software involved.
Oh and ** just gives you the dialtone back but what that does is skips the recording after you dialed. You know " thank you for choosing verizown" or any of the other recorded messages played by the software in the phones.

Royal: you ever get that CPN readback from #ani# ?

#18 Fubster

Fubster

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:29 PM

Would there be any way to snarf the patch that is sent to the phone, maybe with a laptop connected to the wire pair? This might be impossible, I'm not sure how the new Verizon phones work. It's an interesting thing to think about, though...

#19 greyarea

greyarea

Dangerous free thinker

• Banned
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

Take greyarea's advice and head his warning, if you are a true phone phreak.  There is something special about the Verizown payphones, but if you dial *8808 it will update the firmware to take that specialness away.  Many phreaks know what we're talking about... phreaks don't let phreaks dial *8808 or something.

View Post

That isn't phreaking, that's just toll fraud. So FOAD. :nono:
Also, you're quite brilliant for posting something here that you don't want people to do.
Now everyone is going to dial it anyway because nobody knows what it is. So essentially, you just killed it. :)

View Post

First of all I just caught this, yo man, your a friend of mine but you jumping the gun about tollfraud is pretty lame, noone mentioned anything about commiting tollfraud. You did. Second of all its how it is set-up is the phreaking part, and the funny part I might add. Anyone commiting tollfraud is up to them, their own decison, not phreaking in a whole. People going around trying to classify that shit is tollfraud and jumping to conclusions is pretty much just funny. Chill out noone is commiting the dame fraud and noone cares to, its not worth it, just read meh sig niggahs. :D

#20 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

i think a few of us were just thinking of the wrong special hybrid feature. ;)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!