12 replies to this topic

#1 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

http://www2.sprint.c....do?topicId=600

Will my local telephone service change because of this merger?
Sprint local telephone customers will continue enjoy the same service and reliability that they have come to expect from Sprint and will not see any immediate changes to their service as a result of this merger. The Local Telecommunications Division will be part of the merged company until the planned spin-off to a new, separate, publicly-traded company sometime in late 2006. This is a positive growth story that promises to deliver benefits and value to current local telephone service customers, but it is too early to communicate about the changes. The process for gaining state regulatory approvals for the spin-off company is currently under way. We will be filing as required by the majority of the states in which we have wireline local exchange operations seeking change of control from Sprint to a new holding company formed by the merged Sprint and Nextel.

Sprint’s LTD serves approximately 7.5 million local access lines in 18 states and has revenues of about $6 billion annually.

Who will buy it? SBC? Verizon? Qwest?

#2 Dr^ZigMan

Dr^ZigMan

Publish or Perish!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

Sprint’s LTD serves approximately 7.5 million local access lines in 18 states and has revenues of about $6 billion annually.

Who will buy it? SBC? Verizon? Qwest?

View Post

Does 7.5 million local access lines mean subscribers, or is there a difference?

I think binrev should buy it... and use only old step by step switches so that instead of dialing you actually just blue box all of your calls, you'd still have to pay for them but it would be very cool :)
-Dr^ZigMan

#3 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

Heh, a couple billion short, though.

#4 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:16 PM

my first guess is sbc. second is verizon.

Edited by t3st.s3t, 20 September 2005 - 08:02 PM.

#5 spoekalb

spoekalb

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• 1,280 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

Qwest? Heheh...
http://blakeops.com/...shops/qwestwash

$BC on the other hand...
http://blakeops.com/...otoshops/sbcmap

To form...
http://blakeops.com/...bqwestizonsouth

#6 Nemasket

Nemasket

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

How about Comcast? They have enough revenue to attempt to to purchase Disney a few times. It would be nice to see a new player in this game.

#7 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:11 PM

Well, this one is simple. Posted Image

The service will be free, but after you dial you must listen to a short promo ad based on keywords google picked up on your last conversation :lol:

#8 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,837 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:51 PM

Once again... "Sprest"

'Nuff said

(Not really, this is only one of two mergers that can happen as the FCC won't approve anything else. SBC is too big, Verizon is too big. Bellsouth is happy in it's current market in the SE, so Qwest is the only real alternative I think. Problem is, Qwest is in debt up to it's eyeballs. $DEITY only knows.)

#9 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:52 AM

(Not really, this is only one of two mergers that can happen as the FCC won't approve anything else. SBC is too big, Verizon is too big. Bellsouth is happy in it's current market in the SE, so Qwest is the only real alternative I think. Problem is, Qwest is in debt up to it's eyeballs. $DEITY only knows.)

View Post

Let's not forget that Qwest did just recently attempt to buy MCI :)

#10 t3st.s3t

t3st.s3t

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:14 PM

that is a very good point. it would be a smart move for quest. quest is also offering voip, which is more advanced than sbc. i hear that sbc might not want to offer voip until jan. 2007!

#11 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,837 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:32 PM

that is a very good point. it would be a smart move for quest. quest is also offering voip,  which is more advanced than sbc. i hear that sbc might not want to offer voip until jan. 2007!

View Post

Quest? Who's quest? :D

Consumer grade VoIP is not a measure of a company's health. Right now, SBC is fucking Qwest in the ass with a telephone pole covered in a chain link fence in terms of profitability.

#12 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:51 AM

Once again... "Sprest"

'Nuff said

View Post

Voice. Data. Lemon-Lime.
Posted Image

#13 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:02 AM

that is a very good point. it would be a smart move for quest. quest is also offering voip,  which is more advanced than sbc. i hear that sbc might not want to offer voip until jan. 2007!

View Post

Quest? Who's quest? :D

Consumer grade VoIP is not a measure of a company's health. Right now, SBC is fucking Qwest in the ass with a telephone pole covered in a chain link fence in terms of profitability.

View Post

This couldn't be more true. Consumer grade VoIP is a relative novelty in the telecommunications industry; the vast majority of the revenue still comes from wireline voice and data services as well as mobile phones. VoIP will saturate the telecommunications market only after the entire network (or at least a ridiculously high percentage of it) is converted from circuit-switched to packet-switched. Once that happens, the telephone company will be able to run a single direct IP connection right to your premises (likely over fiber) and run your voice and data service over it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!