• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Coleco

Coleco

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 10:15 PM

I want to buy a laptop so i can install linux on my desktop. I will probably stick with windows on the new laptop until i'm a more experienced linux user. I'm thinking i should stay away from dell/gateway - any recommendations as to other companies that produce a good lappy?

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 10:55 PM

Big Blue. And stay away from Sony (again, a tip from Rax).

#3 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 11:16 PM

Personal suggestion. I went around and actually tested many computers regarding this very thing. I found that Gateway computers have some issue booting from cd drive but did fine with knoppix after a while of finding how to get the stupid thing to boot from cd even though bios told it to. HP performed well from what I delt with. My suggestion if your really looking is get a knoppix cd and test it on the machine you want.

#4 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• 95 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 11:37 AM

I run a Dell laptop with mandrake 9.0 It works sweet. No problems at all. all my hardware was recognised. no problems booting from CD either.
it works great.

#5 Davidcopperfield

Davidcopperfield

mad 1337

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

I personally have had no trouble with my sony laptop, but I have heard of others having random AC power issues. I have a PCG-GRV550, and I love it. If it is possible I would suggest getting one of the older Sony laptops, since they are cheaper, and I feel they are better than the new ones.

#6 droops

droops

Arduino Addict

• Moderating Team
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:59 PM

i am second with the old sony laptops, and second again with the ibm. i love my thinkpad, its cool looking and its tough as nails. linux and the dock dont work very well together, but i think thats on most laptops.

#7 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 813 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:06 PM

my dell is great, only beef I have with them is that I had to pay $150 for a replacement batt.

slackware and xp dual boot on my laptop

Edited by djmollusk, 09 June 2004 - 10:06 PM.

#8 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 10:12 PM

Dell laptop + lots of abuse + next-day on-site warranty = bliss

#9 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:06 PM

i'm actually Ebayin' for an IBM thinkpad.

#10 droops

droops

Arduino Addict

• Moderating Team
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:34 AM

hey, ibm sells refurbished equipment. they dont just reinstall windows, they replace worn keys and recoat the laptop so they are really like new.
also i broke my ctrl key and i called ibm, got a human after a bit of menus, i then told them i broke it and they are sending me an entire new keyboard at no cost. they have great customer service and they dont forget about you after they get your money.

#11 luminaire

luminaire

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 12:44 PM

IBM makes really nice laptops. I'd caution to stay away from dell simply becuase they have a tendency to make the biggest ugliest laptops on the market. Another option to consider would be an apple. ibooks are low priced, you get a discount if you're a student, and MacOS is a friendly and gentle intro to unix. Later you can replace it with Linux if you feel so inclined. Great battery life, nice hardware, and a decent OS out of the box. I'd take a good look at that as an option.

#12 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

my personal favorite laptops are the Sagers, they will rock your world. guaranteed.

pctorque.com

#13 vox

vox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:13 AM

In my opinion, the best laptop brands are: IBM, NEC, Fujitsu, and Panasonic. You'd probably want to avoid HP/Compaq as much as possible.

Edited by vox, 13 June 2004 - 12:15 AM.

#14 system sacrifice

system sacrifice

elite

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:28 PM

im in the market for an IBM thinkpad... My peice of shit compaq just decided to die :( ...
(dont get a compaq)

#15 lmnk

lmnk

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:52 PM

I like thinkpads, you should too

#16 GUEST_CyberSlash009_***

GUEST_CyberSlash009_***
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

my parents got me a hp pavilion ze4500 and it works good for me. Im runnig XP Pro, It boots from cds really well and ive had no problem with it.

Edited by CyberSlash009, 15 June 2004 - 08:06 PM.

#17 system sacrifice

system sacrifice

elite

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:30 PM

duuude just dont get a dell

#18 pfe

pfe

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:23 PM

I spend a lot of time discussing mobile computing over at the [H]ard|Forums...so, anyways...general consensus over there right now is this:

For a mobile desktop replacement: Sager 5690 (The laptop I'm hoping to get here soon myself, it's beautiful, UXGA 1600x1200 screen...lovely...)

For an all purpose laptop beauty: IBM T42 (Love this laptop...it's beautiful.)

For a cheap, decent laptop: eMachines m6809 (Lots of people love the new eMachines, it's not the same as eMachines in 1999, a different one because they went bankrupt...but these are great. If I didn't want a laptop for gaming I'd go with the m6809)

#19 shadow

shadow

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:32 PM

If i were you and i had 2,000 dollars i would go right to www.alienware.com and get myself a Area 51 laptop/notebook Sooo Nice Sooo Sweet :D

Edit_""!!~!!DO NOT GET A MAC!!~!!""

Edited by shadow, 13 July 2004 - 11:33 PM.

#20 Juv3nil3 Ph15h

Juv3nil3 Ph15h

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:14 PM

You should consider checking out sager: http://www.sagernotebook.com. They buy from the same OEM that Voodoo buys from (Usually Clevo) but they charge much less for the hardware because they don't paint it or anything. I bought a sager 8890 this fall and I absolutely love it. Also, sager has excellent tech support. In my opinion they are one of the best bargains around. On the other hand, if you will use this laptop primarily for business, I highly reccommend IBM. They make durable products and have great tech support if your hardware breaks. Also, if you want to beat the shit out of your laptop check out Panasonic and their Toughbooks. If you want an older laptop check out the NEC Versa SX. I currently own most of the laptops mentioned above, so if you need any more help send me an email at pdm1235 at yahoo dot com

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!