• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 screamer

screamer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:12 PM

I'm running Mandy 9.1 2.4.21, but recently BoBB showed me a kernel patch that allows background images in regular command line mode (see the latest issue of Outbreak).

I applied the patch, selected everything I needed through xconfig, put the
kernel image where it needed to be, and rebooted. Everything seemed to work fine, meaning it loaded and went to the login prompt...but now Linux can't seem to find anything. eth0 can't be found, iptables, and other things as
well. My first thought was that it was a module problem, so I deleted the
old module directory...no go. I then tried compiling a different kernel, 2.4.19,
and the same thing happened. Is there something I'm missing in xconfig? It says that it cant find the module directory so I figured that was the prob, but on a first time compile wouldn't it know where to look?

I was up all night, my brain isn't working right lol thanks for any help.

#2 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:28 PM

When you compiled your kernel did you enable everything else you needed? The default kernel on a distro like mandrake has everything compiled in as modules. When you move to your own kernel you have to go through every option and figure out what you need, hopefully you backed up your old kernel so yuo can boot into the system and everything :) Unfortunately stock kernels dont work right out of the box like redhat/suse/etc :(

#3 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:25 PM

yeah my old kernel's fine, and i thought i had everything activated...ah well, who needs a background image lol

#4 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:52 AM

Oh you do :). I wish I had somewhere to put the screenshot of my console :( (BoBB maybe on your server?)

#5 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 07:22 AM

I'll put it on oldskoolphreak.

#6 BoBB

BoBB

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:39 PM

Hell yeah ill put up screenshots too, would be nice to have more than just mine in the SS section too heh. And I agree with feend everyone needs a background image on thier console! It looks very sweet :)

#7 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:28 PM

w00t thanks BoBB

check it out screamer.

bootsplash archive

#8 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:47 PM

*sniff*

yeah see, whole point of this post is that i can't get the damn kernel to compile...but that's great...great screenshots...

#9 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:05 PM

Heh..well yeah guess that didn't help you much but if you get on irc BoBB or I can walk you through it.

Last time I used mandrake they were using boot splash images by default. It's probably just a matter of putting them in your initrd.

#10 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:37 PM

cover your eyes kiddies.

i got that fuckin mother humper, i'll be god fuckin damned! fuckin thing took me two days and one sleepless fuckin night but i got that little shit stain to compile and the modules to fuckin load up. turns out the problem was my old piece of shit kernel, as i had upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 earlier, so i guess the damn thing was getting confused. did an rpm -e old_piece_of_shit_kernel and uninstalled it, then recompiled the kernel, and booted up. course i got that bullshit "ebda too large" thing, but that was because i didnt run lilo before rebooting, my bust, i made the mistake of thinking it wouldn't be necessary cus it was already in there. soooo now i'm still short iptables and audio, but for the time being i have networking up.

#11 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 12:50 AM

gratz.... i think :lol:

#12 Dox

Dox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:50 PM

it does sound like a grats is in order

#13 phax

phax

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 01:04 AM

graxs, screamer
I never really liked the rpm. They also gave me trouble.
:borg: UNIX serves it's master it's just a matter of tameing it to listen to U :borg::

#14 GUEST_Guest_***

GUEST_Guest_***
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:22 PM

to avoid "ebda too large problem" you could use GRUBS boot manager instead of LILO.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!