• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 04:51 PM

got the lappy set with red hat 7.3, but i cant get my NTFS partition up. it doesnt come up in the LILO, but the partition is there because the it came up in disk druid. i tried adding

"/dev/hda3 /winnt ntfs 0 0" to mtab, but it says ntfs is not a known partion type. i tried to recompile the kernel, but i cant find the source!! what can i do, or is that partition fried?

#2 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 05:37 PM

well, i found the source, and im currently recomping. i made a new config, b/c i couldnt find any red hat config it used to make this installation in the first place. i made sure ext3 and ntfs were present, and lets just hope that i got all the essentials in this recomp.

#3 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 07:18 PM

well, after much labor, i finally got my phreaking txt and my netsumbler file off my ntfs partiton. it would take too long to type, so ill explain on the show.

#4 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 12:15 AM

I would have helped you, if you had some patience. Yeah all you really need to do is just recompile your kernel, and then run /sbin/lilo to link it to your new kernel. Next time email me I would like to help but I cant check the boards all the time.

#5 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 12:22 AM

ya i know, shoulda just emailed some one. i went pretty quick, cuz i wanted to get those files. now that thats done, i gotta make a deision: should i reformat, so i can put 2k back on, then put linux back on, or is there anyway to fix the ntfs partition. im kinda helpless right here in that reguard, cuz the 2k cd doesnt understand lilo being in the MBA.

#6 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 07:39 AM

If you go the "install 2k, install rh" route, don't forget to name your ntfs partition during the rh install (that tip is from Rax, btw).

#7 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 09:51 AM

wait till i get home and i will email you something, an ariticle on how to do it properly. OR you can read the HOWTO on http://www.ibiblio.o...dows-HOWTO.html
Good luck and sorry if i sounded.... harsh. I didnt mean to. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HELP people with Linux!
:pengy:

#8 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 10:39 AM

Inspired by the last RFA I just tried a couple of distro’s on an old machine, but had mixed luck:

SUSE 8.1 live eval - worked fine but looks exactly the same as knoppix but without all the extras. (except for a rather fancy default background).
Virtual Mandrake - didn’t have enough memory to boot.
Mandrake 9.0 - Wouldn’t boot into the GUI as it didn’t seem to be friendly with the graphics card. (also after checking out the command interface it didn’t have tcpdump, or netcat) but I got it on the internet at least.
Redhat 7.3 - didn’t want to fit on the drive.

(Just thought I’d share the results for anyone else looking to get linux running on a low spec machine.)

EDIT: Machine I was testing them on was 133MHz/48RAM with a 1GB hard drive.

#9 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• 95 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 10:50 AM

I had mandrake 9.0 running on a packard bell 75mhz cpu with 32mb of ram. yea, the GUI was ugly. but it worked. I just finished building my new server. so I won't have to worry about the horrible GUI anymore.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!