• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hbp

hbp

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:43 AM

im sorta new to phreaking and im wondering the difference between wardialing and scanning. is scanning done completely by hand? you just start dialing numbers?

#2 downtime

downtime

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:47 AM

There are many wardialing programs that will automatically scan through exchanges like a hot knife through butter. But, I prefer to do all my scanning by hand. This gives you more freedom to interact with anything you may find. Sometimes wardialing may overlook something that you could have originally found by hand. Sometimes when you call something you have to press #, *, #08, or some kind of crazy combination to access a "hidden menu".

In short I will conclude by saying that I would suggest hand scanning. But, it's all personal choice. B)

#3 Dr^ZigMan

Dr^ZigMan

Publish or Perish!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:50 AM

im sorta new to phreaking and im wondering the difference between wardialing and scanning.  is scanning done completely by hand? you just start dialing numbers?

View Post

Alrighty, first off my friend, any questions you might have it's always better to make the topic a little bit more informative, something like Difference between scanning and wardialing would have worked. That way you'll get much more views that are on target.

The difference between these two things I really think depends on who you ask. In my humble opinon I consider the different that scanning is done by hand in an attempt to find intresting phone numbers, while war dialing is done by a computer to find carrier signals.

To learn a bunch of about phreaking try checking out the alt.phreaking FAQ, it's a good start to answer a bunch of these first timer questions. If you have anything else in specific feel free to ask around here :)
-Dr^ZigMan

#4 vox

vox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

is scanning done completely by hand? you just start dialing numbers?

View Post

Depends on the type of numbers you want to find. If you want to find just modem carriers and/or tones, then use a wardialer such as ToneLoc. If you want to find some really interesting test numbers, automated systems, ANACs, etc, then hand scan. Just make a list of all the numbers you want to scan, and call them, noting down what each number was.

#5 hbp

hbp

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

oh ok thanks

#6 hbp

hbp

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

about wardialing, do you need to be connected through a modem to wardial? you ned to somehow be connected to the foneline right? i connect to internet thru wireless router, my computer isnt connect to a phoneline atall.

??

#7 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

if your not connected to a phone line, how are you going to place a phone call? :P

#8 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:43 PM

about wardialing, do you need to be connected through a modem to wardial? you ned to somehow be connected to the foneline right? i connect to internet thru wireless router, my computer isnt connect to a phoneline atall.

View Post

Well, if you're using a wardialing program, the computer has to be able to dial the phone somehow.

#9 hbp

hbp

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:24 PM

doesnt scanning and wardialing cost alot alot of money??

#10 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

depends on alot of things. like what kind of plan you have on your line, who your provider is, if your scanning local or long distance numbers, etc etc.

but my answer is no. not really. phone service is cheap these days.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!