• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:13 PM

Out of my CO, the local ANAC (Which can be dial as 958-xxxx, or 311 here) has a hidden menu, accesible by punching in a passcode of 1111. But, It's pretty ho-hum as far as features goo. 4 to select busy line ring back test, 5 to select keypad test, 6 for number identification (ANI), 7 to select ring back test (non-busy line), 8 for transmission menus and tests. Now, probably the more interesting of that would be option 8. After selecting it, you can perfrm various tone tests, including the 1004Hz tone test, tone sweeps, etc. At other Cos here in the city, It's a different voice for the local ANAC, and no hidden menu (..at least not that I've found). Also, for the local ANC in other parts of town, 311 is not set to forward calls to the local ANAC, and 958 is dialed without any extra digits afterward. In still another part of town out of another CO, I found I had to dial 958 followed by Nxx-xxxx to get the local ANAC. SHEESH! Isn't there any consistency to how switches get configured?! Well, at least not here, it seems.

#2 HoppingGoblin

HoppingGoblin

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:28 PM

Odd that it would have the 1111 password to get to the menus, that's the default pass for DATUs, what exactly happens when you call the number? Is there a tone or a voice?

Most of the functions sound like standard tests made available to linemen, you're lucky to have them all bundled into one line though and not a seperate line for each function :lol:

Who's your local service provider? Verizon, Bellwhatever, etc.?

#3 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 01:33 PM

I'm in Verizon country. Or, as I prefer to call it "Veric0n", or "The Veri-zone". Heh, heh. B) When you first dial in, you get the ANI read back (twice). At any time during while that's happening, you can enter in the passcode, and access the hidden menu. And, yeah, I guess the tests are pretty standard-fare lineman test shiz-nit. (Which was one of the reasons I said it wasn't so spectacular for this thing). But, actually, when it comes to line ringback, that's actually acessible through 959-last 4 of the number your calling from (Also 811-last 4 of the number called from out of certain COs here). It's go to a dial tone again after a moment, then if you flash the switch hook, you'll get hear the ringback tone on the line. Hang up, and after a moment, It'll ring the phone back. Also, I noticed 2 other things with this: The line seems to stay on dial tone longer than a regular dial tone from the CO. What I mean is, when it "times out" on the dial tone, It'll "refresh" with a new dial tone again. And, when you hit any of the keys, besides fro the standard DTMF, you hear that same ringback tone after each key is pressed. All except for the 2 key, which seems to toggle the dial tone on/off. Of course, it only stay off for a moment or so, then go back to dial tone. BTW, if you punch in any other 4 digits other than the last 4 of the number you're calling from, you'll get a fast busy. And, speaking of DATUs, I'd kill to find one here in my area code. (Preferably also inside city limits. Perhaps maybe even out of my CO, if possible).

#4 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 09:47 AM

Hmmm! Must try. I wonder if thats an anomaly known to other Verizon peeps?

#5 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:32 AM

Although I'll admit, I don't know for fact, I'm guessing the answer to that is no, since there is some stuff I sometimes find out about that I keep on the down low, and nobody else seems to end up finding. What I really want is some DATUs in my local area. But, despite looking pretty well for them, I've yet to find one. But, of course, It's gotta be out there somewherez. I just must be missing it. I know 9935 and 9985 seem to be 2 of the more common last 4 for DATUs in many areas. But, who knows, maybe that doesn't hold true for here, or something. I dunno, man. :unsure:

#6 GUEST_Guest_***

GUEST_Guest_***
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:42 PM

True. I dont know a whole bunch about Verizon, being on Telus my whole life. I would like to think, though, that the things on person experiences are also available to moi.

#7 Captain B

Captain B

SUP3R 31337

• Banned
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:53 PM

True. I dont know a whole bunch about Verizon, being on Telus my whole life. I would like to think, though, that the things one person experiences are also available to moi.

Yeah, but, that doesn't always hold true. In fact, 2 people can have the same phone service provider, and there'll still be differences how things are handled by your local switch at the CO. Here's a prime example: Around here, as I mentioned, 811+last digits works just like 959+last 4 digits. (For ringback testing of the line). Yet, out of another CO downtown, when you dial 811, it waits for 7 more digits to be dialed. (811+Nxx-xxxx). When you do, you get the automated James Earl Jones voice saying "Welcome to Verizon", then a live op comes on the line. So, in other words, the way all the n11 numbers (211, 311, 411, etc). are set up from one CO to the next can be different. I can tell you this though, all n11 numbers forward to another regular phone number somewhere. And, of course, the only n11 numbers that are usually (if not always) the same from one CO to the next is 411 (Diectory assistance), 911 (Police/fire/emergency service) and now, in more recent years, 711 (for your state's TTY/TDD relay service). Some years agoo, 611 used to be used for repair service. But, mine is now a toll free number, and think many other people's are as well. Although, some COCOTS are programmed to dial the number to their local repair/refund service help when you hit in 611. Trust me, things can vary A LOT depending on where you are, whether you using a payphone, whether It's a standard fortress payphone or COCOT, and much more. As always, doing as much hands-on experimentation as possible is the key.

#8 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:26 PM

Understood. That only makes sense, of course, now that I think about it. Where I'm at (780) Telus forwards our 811 calls to a live op.

#9 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:49 PM

Hmmmm ya lost me :) not really but just reading all of that made my head hurt

Spaz :grr:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!