• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fluidicslave

fluidicslave

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

has any one ever created a dial in gateway so they could connect to there home network and use its internet connection when they are out of town ? I am looking for any information on dooing this in linux or windows, preferably linux

Edited by fluidicslave, 29 June 2005 - 10:10 PM.

#2 vox

vox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

has any one ever created a dial in gateway so they could connect to there home network and use its internet connection when they are out of town ?  I am looking for any information on dooing this in linux or windows, preferably linux

View Post

I've never done this, but if it's going to be over a standard POTS line, you're only going to connect at the most 33600 kbps.

You might want to have a look here: http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html

Edited by vox, 29 June 2005 - 11:12 PM.

#3 sheepbyte

sheepbyte

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:12 AM

Modems can't legally even get to 56kbps.

#4 fluidicslave

fluidicslave

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

View Post

really ? I never herd this do you know why ?

#5 vox

vox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:21 AM

View Post

really ? I never herd this do you know why ?

View Post

FCC regulations. I read they limited connections to 53K because of "Crosstalk" and something about S/N ratio. Funny thing, the max speed allowed is 53K, but I've never seen anything past 50.6k...

Edited by vox, 30 June 2005 - 12:25 AM.

#6 Kurced

Kurced

second chance

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:24 AM

PPPD on linux. it's a bitch for the most part to get working but i hear it DOES work.

#7 sheepbyte

sheepbyte

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:35 AM

Originally pushed for by phone companies who wanted to get everything stable and maintain a firm grip on the market. Of course they had some bullshit reason along the lines of:
If we let people have faster connections then viruses will spread faster and take over the world.

#8 myth0loger

myth0loger

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

dude, is there a way to speed up dialup i know some poeple get like 2-5kbps per download, and im getting it soon cus i cant afford broadband anymore at home and at school although they have wifi, i prefer using my own connection...so like is there a way to get it to atleast 45kbps per download on a regular basis?

#9 mrfishopolis

mrfishopolis

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

If you are looking for a standard ppp connection into a *nix box I would recommend using mgetty, from there you can connect through that desired box. As always the pots is going to be your limiting factor for speed.

On the other hand you may just want a Psuedo connection to your network you could connect through your choice of ISP and set up a vncserver on said *nix box, and mind the port forwarding if using nat/firewall. I currently have this config running at multiple places makes easy access to a multitude of boxen. Also you can turn down the level of information being transmitted so you can have lower quality screen being sent.

The third option would be to set up a vpn gateway so you can access/tunnel into your local lan directly, and it's encrypted always a +.

Hope this helps...

Helpful Reading on the subject.

Setting up a ppp connection with Mgetty:
http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html

VNC
http://www.skullbox.net/vncserver.php

VPN/Ipsec
http://www.freeswan.org/intro.html

#10 myth0loger

myth0loger

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

View Post

illegally, how far can they get? if fuxored with?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!