- - - - -

Manipulating AIM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_Unregistered_Isis_***

GUEST_Unregistered_Isis_***
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2003 - 10:26 AM

I'm new at computers. I've recently gotten into hacking. While this is not a serious hacking question, I don't know where else to ask it. What I want to know is if there's a way to mask my aim (insant messenger) name when I'm online...to keepmy screenname from lighting up on other people's buddy lists...but I can still im people. I have the urge to scare a specific someone. If anyone knows a trick for doing this, can tell me how to do this, please reply to this post.

#2 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 12:12 PM

a really long time ago i saw a friend of mine actually do this, but he was using some version of AOL i think. he was able to look offline but im people. you might want to look around the net for the AIM clones, becuase i bet one of them does what you want to do.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 12:16 PM

hmmm..that is interesting. I know with msn messenger, you can "appear offline" so that they cannot see you, but if you send a message, it will reveal you instantly. You would have to click on the "appear offline" option again really fast, but it may be too late. the reply may go to you anyway.

i know that doesn't help much with your AIM question... :(

#4 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 07:40 PM

im an aol user and all i have to do is go to privacy settings dont know about aim though

#5 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 813 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 09:39 PM

I think I would just create some bogus screen name if I wanted to scare somebody. It would probably freak out a lot of people if some screen name they don't recognize IMs them and knows things about them.

You could be signed on with 2 screen names at the same time. Just use the AIM client and then use their web client on their website. I know from experience that a lot of people don't know you can have more than 1 screen name signed on at the same time. That person may think that it can't be (your name) because they are signed on right now.

Instead of using the web client you could use download one of the many AIM clones. I like Gaim and I think they even have a windows version of it out now.

#6 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:42 AM

I think it was possable with the version of AIM that was leaked out of of AOL support; if I remember correctly it had some rather interesting abilites but was short lived due to protocol variations they expunged to make non aol sanctioned clients incompatable with the network.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!