Photo
- - - - -

My wonderfly little storie about the Millennium.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

That fone is 651-631-9812, if anybody's interested. It acted a bit COCOT-ish when I dialed out on it (called Strom's 877-tada-lol ANAC and heard it dial the number after I finished entering. Shoulda taken note of the II digits!) But that's far from the only one in the metro (duh).

My records show Type 70, as it should be.

#42 m3metix

m3metix

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

I've had the same experience here in Manitoba with an old Centurion. It was a cold and windy day in Winnipeg (surprising, I know) and I had to make a call. I spotted a payphone halfway down a side street and made my way over. I was cold and in a hurry and had no intention of any funny stuff, so I went to dial the number and half the digits just made weak "beeeaa...p" noises. Luckily 0 still worked so I asked the op to dial the number because the number pad was not quite right. She asked how I was paying and I told her I was using a quarter (yes, local calls are 25 cents). I put in the quarter, heard the sweet, sweet tone and, since this is Manitoba, she cheerfully put my call through. After my call was finished I hung up and started to walk away when I heard a phreak's favourite sound: the quarter dropping into the coin return. I quickly turned, grabbed the money then continued on my merry way.
Unfotunately, I'm a lazy bastard and haven't bothered to properly test whether this was just a symptom of an already ailing payphone or if it works in other cases. Now I think I may just have to try.

m3metix

#43 Royal

Royal

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:07 PM

She asked me how I was billing it, and I said that I was going to put in thirty-five cents. So, I put my money in, and she put the call through.

View Post

Local calls are 35c from coin phones in Canada? Sweet. They are 50c in FSH (Qwest) Territory.

In NYC specifically, the Verizon hybrids are programmed to prompt you for 25 cents for 4 minutes on a local call, then routes the call a different way other than ACTS. However, when I used my hybrid-bypassing tricks before I dialed the number, it was then necessary to deposit 50 cents for unlimited time on the local call, much like anywhere else in Verizon territory.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!