Photo
- - - - -

My wonderfly little storie about the Millennium.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:54 PM

So. I was hanging out in Indigo, playing around with their computers. Me and my friend carnage wanted to get on irc to see if any of our local hacker/phreak friends wanted to go see "Lords of Dogtown". This was a few weeks ago. I decided to phone a friend. But, naturally, I don't like doing things the normal way (don't even try to extrapolate what that could mean). So, I found a nearby Millennium. I dialed the operator, and told her that I needed to place a call. She asked me how I was billing it, and I said that I was going to put in thirty-five cents. So, I put my money in, and she put the call through. Interestingly enough, when the line picked up on the other end, my money did not get deposited into the coin box. The coins simply hung in the hopper, so, when I finished my call, I simply waited for the other end to hang up, and pressed the coin return. Out comes my money.

I was able to repeat this down the road, at a south-side Wal-Mart.

So. Does Telus' operator positions not have a method of reversing line polarity to their phones, signalling the coins to drop into the coin box? Do they use the Inferred Supervision (or whatever the hell its called) Modules in their Millennium phones instead? If so, does anyone know how those modules work? Who knows. I don't. I'm asking.

#2 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

How on earth did you press the coin return? There's no coin return lever or button on a Millennium phone.

http://stromcarlson....s/lsanca002.jpg

#3 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:10 PM

So. Does Telus' operator positions not have a method of reversing line polarity to their phones, signalling the coins to drop into the coin box? Do they use the Inferred Supervision (or whatever the hell its called) Modules in their Millennium phones instead? If so, does anyone know how those modules work? Who knows. I don't. I'm asking.

View Post

Inferred Answer Supervision basically works by listening to the phone call and waiting for waveforms that resemble speech; it then assumes that the call has gone through.

#4 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:10 PM

Duh. You're right. I wasn't thinking, when I wrote that. By "Pressing the coin return", what I really meant was I hung up, and the coins just dropped into the coin return slot.

#5 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

i think theres something wrong with my area, i've never seen a millenium. At least in my general area. All we got here are cocots and fortesses.

#6 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

Duh. You're right. I wasn't thinking, when I wrote that. By "Pressing the coin return", what I really meant was I hung up, and the coins just dropped into the coin return slot.

View Post

I'll have to go play with a Millennium sometime soon. I'll include the recording on my operator coin services recording :)

#7 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

i think theres something wrong with my area, i've never seen a millenium. At least in my general area. All we got here are cocots and fortesses.

View Post

If you venture beyond SBC territory and go to Verizon land, you'll find them.

#8 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:28 PM

i'm in verizon land sorta. We got a lot of those verizon halfbreeds and then a lot of cocots.

#9 spoekalb

spoekalb

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• 1,280 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

She asked me how I was billing it, and I said that I was going to put in thirty-five cents. So, I put my money in, and she put the call through.

View Post

Local calls are 35c from coin phones in Canada? Sweet. They are 50c in FSH (Qwest) Territory.

#10 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

i'm in verizon land sorta. We got a lot of those verizon halfbreeds and then a lot of cocots.

View Post

Go to Santa Monica.

#11 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,837 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

View Post

If you venture beyond SBC territory and go to Verizon land, you'll find them.

View Post

Thats Verizon/GTE land, by the way.

Boston is full of half breeds, although there are some caches of those phones.

#12 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

Dear everyone,

Millennium has two "n"s in it.

Love,
Strom.

#13 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

Dear everyone,

Millennium has two "n"s in it.

Love,
Strom.

View Post

Dear Strom,

I fear I would be lost without your help, you should be an english teacher.

Love,
PhreakBlaze.

#14 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

I wish strom would have taught my lit class, my class was a fucking joke.

#15 nexis

nexis

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:47 AM

could be intresting. i remember about 4 or 5 years ago, around here, all you had to do was dial 0, wait for the op to hang up, then dial away. for some reason the system around here would not drop you back to the millennium's BS dialtone, but onto a real line. but i got a cell phone now, so i dont play much with payphones.

#16 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

Nexis: are you sure that was a millennium, and not just a cocot? To my knowledge, millenniums are not vulnerable to any line seizing exploits.

So anyways, does anyone have any sort of rationale for my story, or similar experiences?

#17 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

Nexis: are you sure that was a millennium, and not just a cocot? To my knowledge, millenniums are not vulnerable to any line seizing exploits.

So anyways, does anyone have any sort of rationale for my story, or similar experiences?

View Post

One of two things is possible:
  • Routing through the operator services trunk doesn't provide answer supervision back to the coin phone for some reason and so the phone never believes that a call has gone through and would thus have no reason to collect your money.
  • Routing through the operator services trunk does provide answer supervision back to the coin phone, but the phone doesn't collect for one of two reasons:
  • The reversal occurs before the coins are dropped into the phone and the phone thus ignores further coin deposits
  • The phone's rate table lists "0" as a free call.
I'll definitely have answers after I can get out to Verizon territory this week and play with the phones.

#18 zeroxeal

zeroxeal

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

thats funky, I haven't seen many millenniums here nor in my hometown, both are owned by verizon, we just have alot of half breeds, fortresses and cocots

#19 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

The only place I have seen them is at the mall, they aren't even verizon, not cocot, but not verizon, I'll grab some pictures some time.

#20 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

Maybe it lists 0 as a free call, because I talked to a Telus guy, and he said that operators are set up to provide answer supervision. But I was under impression that the coins are always deposited when the line polarity is reversed, so operators could always deposit coins. Perhaps the operators are not set up to provide manual answer supervision and 0 is listed as a free call.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!