• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 08:08 AM

I grabbed the Pro version of 8.2 (yes, it was pricey!) and threw it on my PII 266 laptop. The minimum graphical install uses a slimmed-down KDE 3.1 instead of WindowMaker - not as fast, but it is stable. Overall, it looks good. There are a few gripes:

1. Sound still doesn't work. Using ALSA and an ESS1869, I get "device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)." Time to use that support.

2. I have to manually "ifup eth0" to get my Belkin prism2 NIC working.

3. Although minor, the duplications in the K menu and SuSE sub-menu seem sloppy.

Barring laziness, these things can be fixed. After a one-night stand with 8.2, I am pleased.

#2 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 03:29 PM

Dual: What's really great about SuSE 8.2 is software installation. If you look around the menus long enough you'll see there is one menu that leads to a whole list of categorized sub-menus. from these submenus can just point and click at what you want and it will automatically be fetched and installed for you (it might even apply patches for you but I'm not sure on that one).

These listings are huge and have all the popular software you would expect to be there.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!