• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 11:14 PM

i was nervous... radio is hard. pls dont hate me :D

#2 GUEST_Guest_***

GUEST_Guest_***
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:06 AM

heh i thought it was just a normal lizard.

#3 GUEST_Unregistered_spaz101_***

GUEST_Unregistered_spaz101_***
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2003 - 10:55 PM

i have no idea what your talkign about

#4 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 10:59 PM

sorry. this is an ancient thread. On an episode of RFA, i refered to the SuSE logo as "a fish" it is in fact not a fish, its a chameleon. i just wanted to save myself a slew of "wtf are you doing talking about linux on the damn radio when you cant even tell the difference between a fish and a fukking chameleon?" emails... and it did

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 08:41 PM

ok, well since this topic is kinda about suse, i'll spill my grits here.....
i was gettin all psyched up about installing suse 8.2 and lo and behold no ISO....i was like wtf....then I saw that you can do a network install. Of course I have to waste a whole cd for a fukkin 19 meg iso that I have no idea what is there for anyway. Couldn't i just use a floppy for a network install??? anyway...i'm gonna get to installing it tomorrow. Has anyone done any of these "network" installs before?? if so, what should I expect? prolly slower than the regula boot cd right/??? anyway, thanks for bland's review that convinced me on that rfa ep.

#6 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:16 PM

hac it's easy and I believe it won't fit on a floppy anymore because the GUI installer is so big.

make sure you lookup the IP of the mirror you are going to use before installation, I don't think it does name resolution. Also make sure you have the pathname to the root directory of the 8.2 distribution as that's where the installer looks for the files.

Or just use debian and forget all the above bullshit :).

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:18 PM

hey, thanks feend, i'll take all that into consideration. I think i have to read the readme thing too (if there is one). thanks again

#8 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:03 PM

ok, well, I have started the install procedure...and the installer is pretty straitforward...altho i didn't quite get if I lost my slackware partitions....prolly not, i just went thru the thing really fast. The thing is its been goin on for about an hour and its up to 5%...of course I have cable....dont even wanna think what it would do to 56k users. Its goin kinda slow.....very very slow......but it should finish sooner or later. I seriously think they shoulda just released the damn iso's....hmm, wonder why they didnt?!?! anyway...i hope it finishes this week.

#9 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 05:20 PM

Or just use debian and forget all the above bullshit .

:unsure: i feel kind of bad now... im using debian

<------------avatars dont lie -_-

#10 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 05:39 PM

hac: Yeah SuSE wants you to buy the distro so at some point they probably won't even offer the netinstall iso. Sounds like this is how things are going now that SuSE Desktop 1.0 is out.

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 05:44 PM

well, after countless hours......well more like 5 im up to 36% W00T!!!
it stayed at 35% for about an hour due to two missing packages!!! motherfucker!!!!!!!! oh man, my patience is being tested...oh well...looks like i aint sleepin in my room tonight. I have to leave the thing on, and all 7 fans in there dont make for a good nights sleep.

install update: 8:13 PM up to 64%

#12 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 09:41 PM

w00t
about 9 hours later after i first started out on this oddysey, I have suse up and running. All that remains is for me to find out why the hell lilo wont boot suse (i have another copy on a floppy that does) and try to test out enemy territory for linux, practically the reason i installed suse. Well, anyway...i still think it was rude for suse not to provide the iso...

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:58 PM

ok, well, i got lilo to boot suse
now the problem is that i cant get online with it.
I got the nic modules all loaded. I can ping my router and my windows box. I can also transfer files from my windows box back and forth, i just can't get online.
What the hell is going on?!?
Does suse have one o those net configuration utilities?? i know slackware has netconfig and it was so easy to set up with that thing. Too bad it aint in suse either. Oh well....gonna go back to fiddlin with it...

edit: ok, well I didnt have the dhclient package installed, and since im on a router with a built in dhcp server I kinda needed it. All up and running now....all i gots to do now is figure out what drivers i need from nvidia so that suse will let me enable hardware 3d rendering.....

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!