• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:11 PM

Wait. so are you saying you had a normal paid employee plan, which after a while they grandfathered the whole thing to make it free?

View Post

Here's clarification of what "grandfathered" means:

It's pretty obvious that back in the dark, prehistoric days of Sprint PCS, they gave their employees completely free mobile phone service. Once the company grew beyond service in a few key markets, the free plan was deemed too costly to the company, and was replaced with something less lavish (probably either a stipend of free minutes every month or a percentage discount on the bill). However, those that already had the plan were allowed to keep the plan just as long as no changes were made to the service.

The term comes from post-civil-war US history:

http://en.wikipedia....ndfather_clause
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Jim_Crow_law

View Post

Heh, I did not know it had such a historic background! Anyway, what I was going off of was knowing sometimes the wireless companies, if you have been a customer for a while, will 'grandfather' some of your options, say giving you 500 text messages for $3 a month, or some kind of reduced price as an incentive to stay. Sorry if I used the term too loosely :P Nonetheless, from what I hear, the employee plans for wireless companies are still today pretty cheap, although I don't know what any of Sprint's are. If you could scan a copy of your bill Spring Carcking (minus all personal info of course) it would be kind of cool to see that . I wonder what they call the plan....

Correction on my Mitnick quote from AOI, it actually states: "..."the Kevin Mitnick cellular phone plan" - zero a month, zero a minute, but you may end up paying a heavy price in the end, if you know what I mean."

#22 Sprint Carcking

Sprint Carcking

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:38 PM

Strom is correct, in the early years of Sprint, employees could sign up for totally free service. Nowadays you get 2000 minutes and unlimited downloads...not a bad plan for 20 bucks a month. The reason why I cannot change phone is basically...how can I explain this. The old plan is no longer in the billing computer and with Sprints clunky systems there is no way to tell the computer, keep the customers old plan just change the ESN to a diferent phone. Sorry it doesn't work like that unfortunately, the old plans not in the computer anymore so to speak.

#23 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

Yes, I understand. However, what is on your bill then? You still get a bill for all the taxes, surcharges, and fees correct?

#24 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

Quick bump before this thread dies.

SC, could you give us an (edited) scan of the bill?

#25 noir

noir

elite

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:06 AM

I know this is a bit late, but better late than never. I don't know about Sprint, but I inquired about something similar a while back to a friend who works for Cricket Communications (small cell provider). My interest at the time was getting an old brick phone to use for the hell of it when I wanted, but I didn't want to pay Sprint $20 (or whatever it is) a month to add a phone, and I wanted to use the same phone number. The answer I got was if their equipment ever sees that an ESN is registering more than once on one of their towers, or is registering on two different towers, there is an automated process that will disable service for that account until they figure out what exactly happened. With Sprint being a larger company, they may not monitor it as closely, but I think you'll be fine as long as you only have one phone on at a time.

#26 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

I know this is a bit late, but better late than never. I don't know about Sprint, but I inquired about something similar a while back to a friend who works for Cricket Communications (small cell provider). My interest at the time was getting an old brick phone to use for the hell of it when I wanted, but I didn't want to pay Sprint $20 (or whatever it is) a month to add a phone, and I wanted to use the same phone number. The answer I got was if their equipment ever sees that an ESN is registering more than once on one of their towers, or is registering on two different towers, there is an automated process that will disable service for that account until they figure out what exactly happened. With Sprint being a larger company, they may not monitor it as closely, but I think you'll be fine as long as you only have one phone on at a time.

View Post

As far as Cricket goes I have heard stories of them cracking and tapping down on drug dealers, pretty crazy shit! As for Sprint they sell alot of air time to alot of other small cell providers.

P.S. WhiteFlye your Icon kicks ass! lol

Edited by SUB-S0NIX, 19 June 2005 - 02:35 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!