• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:39 PM

So I was scanning a CO upstate today (typical NY XXX-XXX-99XX scanning) and I came across a number that picks up the phone and sends back either one or three touch tones.

I captured one of the calls when it spit back a single digit and decoded it with tt-dec but it doesn't really give me much information (other than knowing the digit was a 4). Has anyone seen this before on other COs? What could it possibly be?

As an aside it no longer spits back anything, it just hangs up. :(

#2 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 02:56 PM

Hmm, I waited a few minutes and it did it again. So now I know that when it picks up and dials one digit it's a "4". When it picks up and dials three digits it's "###".

It picked up and dialed 4 digits the first time I waited and called it back. I'll try to get a recording of that and take it apart too.

#3 screamer

screamer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:26 PM

Try talking back, if it plays a 4 hit 4. If it plays # hit #, etc. I've seen lineman paging systems that worked similarly. You call them up, you receieve a touch tone, repeat it, and then there's silence for you to leave your message. Afterward it plays it back and gets sent to the lineman on duty. Just a possibility of course, it could just be a test line of some sort.

#4 lowtec

lowtec

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 11:24 PM

haha, for a second there i thought you were going to say it was a simon-like game.

That would be pretty cool.. and good for ear training phreaks.. set up a number where it plays a touch tone and then you push the number.. and keeps making the pattern more complicated.

#5 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 07:56 AM

Screamer: I tried throwing those tones at it to no avail. :(

Is anyone in here ear trained for DTMF? I can't imagine being able to do that. If you are I give you the ultimate in respect. I tried doing it for a bit and I just can't seem to get it down. One row or one column is no problem, but doing it all together is impossible for me.

If you guys want to play with this number go for it, it's 1-845-561-9905.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!