• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 09:05 PM

lately i've become very interested in audio compression and standard formats like wav,mp3,ogg and such. if anyone has done any reading or writing on the subject, please let me know, because i want to learn about different compression standards and how they work. to make a long story short, i want to know how to take a file and convert it to a different format like wav to mp3. I know there are zillions of programs out there that do it, i just want to know what goes on behind the scenes

#2 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 09:34 PM

I might be able to help you out there. My job is in a similar field so I know some of the theory.

You know, I started to write a whole bunch of stuff and realized that it's going to take a very long message to get it across. Would you prefer e-mail or PM or something?

If you want to get a jumpstart read about the DCT (discrete cosine transform) and MDCT (modified, I think). They're the mathematical basis for many modern compression schemes (both audio and video). Don't worry about the nitty-gritty (it's ridiculous math that I avoid at all costs because I'm a hardcore math wimp) just try to get a basic feel of what it does. I'll try to field any questions you've got about that too.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 09:42 PM

I might be able to help you out there. My job is in a similar field so I know some of the theory.

You know, I started to write a whole bunch of stuff and realized that it's going to take a very long message to get it across. Would you prefer e-mail or PM or something?

boy, that would make a GREAT article for BinRev! ;)

#4 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 10:02 PM

ntheory:

an email would be great!! bland_inquisitor@hotmail.com

I would LOVE to know the ins and outs, and it's good to know that you approach it with the same dialated-eyed, soggy underwear fears of math that i have :lol:
and yes, if you want to submit it to binrev, i'm sure it would be a lock for publication. that's some interesting stuff

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 11:16 PM

mp3 encodeing is really interesting, I think you will be happy to learn more.. one interesting thing about mp3 is that they take out all the "noise" and sound that is out of range of normal human hearing to help compress it.. in the end it realy helps it slim down, with raw wavform .wav files you get all the nitty gritty, including he stuff you cant hear.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!