9 replies to this topic

#1 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...87&category=176

well i dont know, and i am asking! my guess is it is something to do :pissed: nefarious :pissed: things with, but i have no clue what to make of this thing. anyone out there know what it is???

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:14 PM

well, i can sure as hell tell you thats a floppy on the top of it!!!!!! so it must be a hacking thing, or maybe sort of a redbox..with tones on the floppy, my guess is as good as yours...

#3 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:33 PM

I dont care if he told people not to ask, I did so anyway.. When get a reply I will let you guys kno what he tells me.

#4 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:45 PM

Right under the floppy there's what appears to be a smartcard slot. The picture is so bad I can't really tell.

Maybe it's just a good scam. :)

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:53 PM

Ya, I JUST saw the card slot and was going to post the same thing, the undercarrage looks like the pheonix smart card recoder a friend has, and the floppy could very well be the boot device on a small mobo.. My theory is its a smart or magnetic card reprogrammer that boots via the floppy and works on a 9-12 volt power supply via the plug in the back.. a interesting idea indeed.

#6 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 11:23 PM

that looks like a small AC power plug on the back...so it needs external power, which makes it more likely that does not necessarily require a PC connection.

It also looks like a clear USB cable behind it, but that is just a guess.

#7 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 813 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 11:50 PM

You are looking at a "all in one" directv emulation system.

These were used with the older H cards that Directv was using. People who had a smart card programmer for H cards could put there card into an AUX mode. That I think just made the card decode the video stream and nothing else. You then had a floppy that was an autoboot that booted up the H card emuation program. There is also another part to this setup that is missing. There is supposed to be a fake card that hooks into the emulator and the card part is put into the slot on your directv system.

You then basically have an dump of the EEPROM rom file that you would hexedit in order to unlock all the channels. That file would be on the floppy alnog with the emulation software. The emulator would unlock all the channels and the smart card would decode the video.

This method doesn't work anymore I don't think. I haven't played with Directv stuff for over a year. It was a lot of fun at the time.

i'm 100% that you are looking at a "all in one" emulation system for directv.

#8 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 813 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 11:59 PM

btw... it has nothing to do with phreaking and those things used to sell last year for like $100+.

The reason somebody came out with these is because the only other way to run the h card emulation software was to have a extra computer with 2 serail ports on it. One serial part would have the fake smart card hooked into it and the other one would have a smart card programmer hooked into it along with the H card in the programmer. You then would insert your floppy disk and book up and enjoy the free tv. I think there was something about it in 2600 last year.

#9 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:25 AM

So I was right then.. cool. :ninja:

Ya the only way I know about that as well is becouse a friend had the bootup serial setup.. My old boss was into steal-per-view, still is from what I hear however he was having trouble last time I heard becouse the cards he needed where different, tried getting me to crack them and got mad when I told him no... wasnt my thing.

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:47 PM

wow, thats a pretty cool gadget, heh, under a completely wrong section tho, did you look at this dude's feedback, he sells computer stuff, but on one of the items pages, he said that he was selling it (was a motherboard) because he tried to build a computer 8 months ago, but never really got around to it, he then says that he really doesnt know a lot about computers!!! why the fuk would you try and build one if you knew shit about it, and prolly were gonna run windows on it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!