• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:48 PM

Just listening to the latest OTH from this week and listen to them bitch about grocery cards. didn't I go through this a couple of weeks ago? Maybe even a month ago?

And all they did is explain what they were, not even addressing the hacking possibilities! ARGH!!!

#2 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:42 PM

Speaking of cards do you know where I could get a magnetic card reader/writer?

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:45 PM

Speaking of cards do you know where I could get a magnetic card reader/writer?

you could copy credit cards, hotel cards, any cards with one of these....
http://www.uniform.c...roduct/msr.html

#4 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:58 PM

No price or way to see if I can remotely buy it.. :(

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:00 PM

:o i know, thats what i was just lookin at, sorry for postin the shitty link....

#6 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:17 PM

here.. they are WAY too much for me :(, hope your rich and if so spread the wealth! lol

http://www.incodenet...der-compare.htm

#7 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:53 PM

I bought a reader kit about 6 years ago for $20 (assembled, I was lazy). Writers usually cost at least $600. If you want low-coercivity only (weak magnetic cards, the default) as well as track 2 only you might be able to find a deal. Check eBay and see what comes up.

How much are you willing to spend? I know a couple of guys that sell point-of-sale hardware/software bundles and they might have a hookup for writers.

#8 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:32 PM

I bought my reader for 5 bux at a local swap shop that sold old junk. Basically like a big garage sale.

I never got time to make it work. I also have no cables and software, so I just didnt get into the project yet. :(

#9 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:51 PM

The software that came with the board was written in Basic and was absolutely horrible. It was slow, buggy, and ugly.

I stared at magic numbers buried in it for a bunch of hours and then decided to give a shot at reverse engineering the data from the parallel port.

A few days later I had a nice little assembler routine called from a Turbo Pascal program that, even though it had no snazzy interface, worked really well. I wish I still had that code, I was so proud of that puppy. It was a simple encoding scheme (a few bits for "card present", "1", "0", and "transition" when it moved from one bit to another) but it sure was a hell of a lot of fun to play with the parallel port directly.

Maybe I'll dig that thing up, post the schematics, and rewrite the code. I'd imagine the parts are all still available and it'd be nice to have a mag stripe reader again. And if all the external interfaces are the same/similar it might work with a bunch of bare readers.

Oh man, now I miss DOS! :help:

#10 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:23 AM

Would make a interesting artical in binrev, how to make your own card reader... with C and asm source for the driver..

#11 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:29 AM

Well, might as well start digging now. I know I saw it a few days ago...

#12 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:42 AM

Wow, that was pretty painless.

OK, I found it. It's a Magtek 21050067, REV B, 10/88.

It looks like you can find card readers on eBay that just hook up to a PS/2, RS232, or USB port pretty cheaply. I doubt that it's really worth the time to do the parallel port work again. It'd be fairly easy I guess, but it'd be a pain to adapt the new readers to parallel.

So, in conclusion, if someone REALLY wants it or maybe if someone finds a huge lot of these things and wants to sell them cheaply I'll give it a whack. Otherwise it seems a little dated. :-/

#13 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:47 AM

What my card reader looks like.

Different part number, but looks identical. So they DO still exist.

#14 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:56 AM

dddamn, 2000 bux, these ppl are out of their mind!!!
altho you might get a god deal on ebay.

#15 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 09:21 PM

mine was the credit card readers that stores use all the time. I assume it is provided by the mastercard/visa companies.

What a fukking sw33t project it would be (although financially improbable) to buy up a huge batch of these old things, all the same model, maybe from some closeout/overstock distributor warehouse somewhere and develop some simplistic software to read input. Writing would be seperate, and probably innappropriate. Sold only to hakkers as cheap as possible.

*sigh* dreams are fun.

#16 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:09 AM

Yep, it'd be nice.

I found them for $45.00. I think I might be able to get them for $30-$35. Maybe I should start a poll and see how many people are really interested in something like this at that price range. :P

#17 ntheory

ntheory

data pillager

• 1,757 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:13 AM

Scratch that. I just found a similar MagTek model for $3.95. Maybe this project is feasable after all...

Edit:

I should probably provide a link... some guy's card reader project.

#18 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:49 AM

wow, there was a lot of great reading there. He also has some C code to look at. It is from 1999, but I don't think much has changed about card technology since then...has it?

This would definately be a sweet project if we could truly find them cheap (or available for others to buy cheap). We could develop the basic software as open source. When we get it working, we publish the directions in BinRev and then people can make them on their own working versions from directions, if they want to learn and do it themselves, or we could sell a kit with the hardware, software, and directions (better yet, the hardware, the copy of binrev that includes the directions as a package deal!).

I would be happy to help out with the C programming as much as I could, but mine is generally database programming. If you are up for it ntheory, I will gladly work on this as a dual project with you.

#19 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 01:38 PM

RFA does get many hacking exlusives - always dairy fresh.

Funny the card reader subject has come up. I've been looking at readers and POS equipment in general, and have found lots of equipment at electronic surplus stores (a little pricey though). I've also found a store in my metro area that specailizes in POS equipment. As soon as I get a free weekday, I'm heading there to bleed them for info.

#20 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:42 AM

Ya... Radio Smack used to give out cuecats that can be hacked and used for pos.. too bad they didnt give out card readers.

I know most cards are lo on 1&2, but if I get one I want to be able to read/write hi/lo 123.. I know of a arcade in seattle that uses cards for there games on a point system and I cant help but wonder what system they use..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!