• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 08:58 PM

i just had a mobo die on me and i want to salvage the data from the hdd from the dead box ( i will be fixing this box soon ). but i was wondering if it would be better to build my own hdd enclosure or just to buy a cheap one?

and if possible some plans on how to build one... for some reason i couldn't find it on google... *shrugs*

Thanx

#2 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 09:26 PM

one word //insert angel choir here eebbaayyy

#3 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 09:39 PM

so i guess thats a no to building it then?
:D :D

#4 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 10:12 PM

Building it isnt the best option, however you can get them for about 20 bucks online, real price depending on who you get it for and what type it is.

I suggest you start your search here:
http://www.myxtech.com/c/1.html
They seem to have some interesting stuff.

#5 0ccupant

0ccupant

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 02:58 AM

Not cheap, but two fun options are the Apple iPod (want it)
and the Archos JukeBox (got it). You can boot with the
iPod, probably with the Archos as well but I haven't tried it
yet. The iPod cost twice as much as the Archos, but the
screen is twice as big and the case is smaller. Both use
laptop harddrives so you can trade up at least with the
Archos. The iPod has a better menu unless you load the
Archos with the RockBox drivers. RockBox provides better
menus and performance than Jukebox, and with Archos
Recorder, games (tetris, sokoban and wormlet). Oddly
enough you won't be able to record (they're working on that
supposedly) but it's easy to convert back. The iPod uses
standard firewire cable. The Archos special USB cable, but
plugs it to everything I've tried above Win 98 with USB
without installing OS drivers including Mac and Linux. Both
are discreet enough to carry into retail establishments and
offices. Oh, they play music too.

http://www.oldskoolp...es/ipod_use.txt Great Article by Logan5

Secrets of the iPod by Christopher Breen costs $US21.99 but is free a the library.

http://rockbox.haxx.se/ Wow, above review was for RockBox 1.4. Now 2.0 is in and has Doom. I’m loading up right now.

#6 0ccupant

0ccupant

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 04:18 AM

This is an April Fools joke.

Oh, I am such a idiot.

But 2.0 does have new features. Recording is enabled now. Will test.

#7 bobnino

bobnino

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 03:04 PM

iPod gen 2 has an audio record system test.
So it would seem ipods will record too.

this should help make the iPod a great phone phreak tool.

here is a link

http://www.ipoding.c...=thread&order=1

#8 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:28 PM

I've had great luck with the Firewire enclosures I've bought from Other World Computing

Most of their stuff is geared towards Macs, but the enclosures will work with just about any OS, provided it supports Firewire, but they have USB enclosures too. I've got a bus powered 2.5" drive enclosure that I use with an old 6GB drive I yanked out of my PowerBook when I installed the 20GB that's in it now. I use the external drive for doing back ups on-site, and it's is one of the coolest things I have ever spent money on, and it only cost 50 bucks.

As Occupant mentioned, the iPod is a good solution for backup and storage too, with the added benfit of music. (Thanks, Occupant for mentioning my arty...glad someone read it!). But, I'd be a little hesitant to use it as a boot drive on a regular basis. I've heard of situations where the early iPods were used as boot drives and the drive burned out from the excesive read/write activity. When you play an audio file, it's buffered so the drive doesn't continusouly spin and it doesn't skip when you move it around; less wear and tear on the cute little drive inside the iPod. I've used my iPod to boot my PowerBook (and still do from time to time when the situation warrants) but hearing the aforementioned horror stories made me cut down on doing it alot. Better to spend $50 on an enclosure then end up with a $400 brick.

I'm pretty sure they have taken care of this problem in later iPod revisions, as I have not heard of the boot drive/burn out problem in any versons other than the very first ones. I don't use my iPod (one of the first versions...I bought it the week they came out) as a boot drive unless absolutley nessecary (which in twirlz's case, sounds like it would be).

On a related note, Apple announced new iPods this past Monday, and I got a chance to play with them last night at the local Apple Store. They are sweet. VERY sweet, and now come in 10GB, 15GB amd 30GB sizes.

But they have a couple drawbacks. Namely, they have removed the Firewire port from the iPod. You now have to use a proprietary cable to connect it to the computer: 6-pin Firewire on one end/iPod connection on the other...which is similar to the connection on the charger of my cell phone. They have a charging dock (alá Palm Pilot) but you stil have to use the proprietary cable. I definately like being able to use ANY 6-pin FireWire cable with mine, and I already have too many cables in my bag of tricks.....don't really want to add another one.

No Winodws versions of the new iPods are out yet, but those are coming in June or July, and they will support USB 2.0, which previous versions did not. But even with the USB 2.0, you'll still need a proprietary cable....it'll have a USB connection instead of the Firewire.

Guess now I have to make some revisions to my arty..... :o

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:35 PM

But they have a couple drawbacks. Namely, they have removed the Firewire port from the iPod. You now have to use a proprietary cable to connect it to the computer: 6-pin Firewire on one end/iPod connection on the other...which is similar to the connection on the charger of my cell phone. They have a charging dock (alá Palm Pilot) but you stil have to use the proprietary cable. I definately like being able to use ANY 6-pin FireWire cable with mine, and I already have too many cables in my bag of tricks.....don't really want to add another one.

dammit...this is apples failure in the past. When will they learn to STOP MAKING PROPRIETARY SHIT!

No one can make a mac but apple. Then PCs blew past them because of the competition factor. Apple almost died, then came back with one last gasp with great producst like the notbooks and ipods. They then grew because they integrated the OS with a strong UNIX undertow and it was good. See what happens when they go away from proprietary products and OS? people will accept them more. Now they go back to the same old shit and make proprietary shot a gouge people on prices.

The directors at Apple must be fukking morons. They are going in the wrong direction.

#10 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:21 PM

dammit...this is apples failure in the past.  When will they learn to STOP MAKING PROPRIETARY SHIT!

I would agree with you to a certain degree, but proprietary connectors, adapters and file formats are everywhere in the computer industry, not just out of Cupertino. In this case the iPod cable really isn't any different than the proprietary charging cable that comes with a PDA or cell phone.

My point was that changing it from a standard FireWire cable make is less convenient and forces you to have yet another cable floating around. Like if you're on the road and leave your iPod's FireWire cable at home, but have a spare FireWire cable in your AWOL bag, you can still charge it. But now, if you leave the charging cable at home, you're fukked if the battery runs down....just like when I leave the charger for my cell phone or the dock for my Palm at home. You can't run out and use *just anything* with it...it's got a proprietary charger that will only work with that make and model of phone or PDA.

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 10:26 PM

dammit...this is apples failure in the past.  When will they learn to STOP MAKING PROPRIETARY SHIT!

I would agree with you to a certain degree, but proprietary connectors, adapters and file formats are everywhere in the computer industry, not just out of Cupertino. In this case the iPod cable really isn't any different than the proprietary charging cable that comes with a PDA or cell phone.

yep, and that sux about cel phones also. Two wrongs don't make it right.

#12 lowtec

lowtec

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:21 PM

Most cellphones I've seen just use proprietary data cables, charging is possible with just the standard little adapter plug thingies ( don't really know what to call them ).

They come in a range of different sizes from tiny to pretty big, you can get a nice power supply from rat shack that has selectable output and a tip where you can switch out the size tip you want.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!