13 replies to this topic

#1 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:12 PM

Hello!

I belive that i've got the virus W32.nimbda.enc for the 20th time in one year! I have two computers, both running Win XP and Norton Antivirus 2002 (NAV) with all kind of security that NAV supports! But i still get infected all the time! :cry: :cry: :cry:
NAV is fully updated and nimbda is an old virus...
It really pisses me off :pissed:

PLEASE HELP ME!
Thanks! :)

#2 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:21 PM

Install Linux. :)

What are you getting them from? e-mails?

#3 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:51 PM

Uninstall Outlook and Install Pmail.. google for "pmail" and you will find what you need.

#4 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 05:42 PM

Thansk everybody! :)

I will soon setup my network to this:

One computer who has two ethernet cards; one to the internet and one to my LAN. So i was wondering if it was possible that the computer with internet acces could filter all virusses, and everything so i don't need to run Antivirus or other programs on the other computers. The computer controlling it will of course be running Linux.

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 08:22 PM

If your running linux all "W32.*" viri will not be a problem unless your using a filesharing network and are obtuse enough to download *.exe files onto a winho box; I suggest you install a software firewall that blocks outgoing connections as well as incomming ones as well, as your windows box most likley has a few trojens on it, and update your viris definitions and make sure your not using a admin type account if your running a NT based windows, there is no reason a common user needs the admin priv. on a windows box for daily tasks uless they are into stuff that NEEDS it, and then they should already be secure. Its more work but its still less work then reloading every week becuase you got owned for the second billionth time that week by script kiddidiots with the intelegence of a fruitfly.. Nice to see your interested in learning, so if this sounds harsh remember its not, Im just being blunt for your own good, ok?

#6 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:24 PM

If your running linux all "W32.*" viri will not be a problem unless your using a filesharing network and are obtuse enough to download *.exe files onto a winho box; I suggest you install a software firewall that blocks outgoing connections as well as incomming ones as well, as your windows box most likley has a few trojens on it, and update your viris definitions and make sure your not using a admin type account if your running a NT based windows, there is no reason a common user needs the admin priv. on a windows box for daily tasks uless they are into stuff that NEEDS it, and then they should already be secure. Its more work but its still less work then reloading every week becuase you got owned for the second billionth time that week by script kiddidiots with the intelegence of a fruitfly.. Nice to see your interested in learning, so if this sounds harsh remember its not, Im just being blunt for your own good, ok?

for crying out loud, can i buy a period in some of those sentences? :lol:

#7 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:01 AM

heh, I do tend to run on in my sentance structure dont I?

Sure you can buy a period.. only 10 bucks each, gotta start my computer fund somehow.

#8 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 04:46 AM

Well i think i am going to miss my use of admin account since i use it alot, but it's easyer than running WínXP install 100 times (I nearly can all my WinXP cd keys in head).

I just have one question: Can Linux filter Windows viruses?

#9 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 05:32 AM

Most tasks unless your installing and uninstalling allot dont need the admin rights. Just keep it a seperate account and you will be happyer in the long run.

Filter? in what sence?

#10 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:45 PM

It will be a something like this:

Posted Image

I was wondering if PC1 wich is the only computer directly connected to the internet can destroy all virus, stop crackers, just pretty much make the hole network secure.

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:41 PM

well, they make virus gateways that are just for that purpose. However, they are generally geared to scan mail servers. I really do not know of they can be customized to other applications, but i am sure they can at the very least scan that local gateway for complete files in any form.

The problem would be files in partial form from the internal network. PC1 or PC2 could download a streamed file, or a partial FTP download, or P2P files which never touch the gateway in a solid, complete form. You will still need individual client virus scanners on them to be more secure.

Think of this: Big companies implement tons of checks for viruses and yet they still find ways of appearing inside the network. Some may come from floppies, but how do you think most get there?

#12 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:09 PM

Through the internet of course.
But isn't it possible for the gateway to find virus via P2P, Norton found a virus before it was completely transfered thorugh KaZaA.

#13 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 03:08 AM

Exactly... on your computer not the gateway... think about that, for that to happen it would have to go through your gateway.... Still think its secure?

As stank said, your security can not stop at your network gateway.. I suggest you have AV software on all your windows boxen, and make sure all your boxen have firewalls installed in some form or another that are working.

*edit.. Spelling couse Im tired..*

#14 Cr4X

Cr4X

elite

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the help, it helped me out a lot :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!