• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

I've been half-assedly looking at upgrading to a new desktop machine (mainly so that I can watch HDTV on it), and I've realized that I don't really have a terribly good idea of where the current bleeding edge of computing is or how the various competing technologies compare to one another. I'm also not in-the-loop enough to be able to tell the conjecture from the facts (except from the obvious, i.e. "lots of LEDs make it go faster").

What's good, what's to be avoided, and what's just hype?

#2 lilgerman

lilgerman

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:17 PM

chhhh, look at the price. lol thats what i do, then if u find somethign u like google it, and graphics go with nvidia, sli

#3 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:58 PM

What is the machine going to be used for primarily?
What's your target pricerange?

Different uses warrant different products.
Different priceranges warrant different products.

#4 jamesmalone

jamesmalone

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:57 PM

I would suggest obviously a nice video card. 128mb is average and 256 is great. But don't get some cheap brand with 256 just for the hell of it. Then it's just a waste. A reliable 128mb is fine. Then you can get good HDTV quality. You'll want some good video rendering. I'm not all with the different models of AMD but I have one just as I upgraded from a pentieum 4 and it's much better. A nice quality monitor is also a must. I'm very happy with my MAG Innovision 19" monitor. With Zoom, vivid picture and warm picture it has some nice video features. I'm guessing you would get a TV tuner card so a huge hard drive is a must if you plan on recording them to disk. I mean a nice 200GB HD isn't too expensive. I know I'm in love with mine. But im not fortunate enough to have a TV tuner card. As for specific models of these products, it's really all in your price range. All you need to focus on is good video quality so getting a quality products is a must.

BTW: Some flashy lights and a $600 case is almost a must :)

Edited by jamesmalone, 20 March 2005 - 09:58 PM.

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

get an nforce4 mobo and slap in a couple geforce 6800s in there...you'll be flyin so hiiigh.

#6 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:13 AM

The only really intense thing I intend on doing with this box is HDTV (1920x1080 30fps MPEG-2). I want to try and keep it <$300 sans display.

#7 Kedearian

Kedearian

MAX(int x[2])

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:20 AM

Question, do you have a caputre card in mind for this? Going to be a linux box or windows? I was checking new egg and the best i could piece togeather was a little over $400 befor a monitor.

#8 Elzair

Elzair

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't companies stopped selling (in the US at least) HDTV cards that do not accept the broadcast flag. If I am right, (I hope I am wrong) does anyone know some places where one could *ahem* hypothetically get an HDTV card that does not accept the broadcast flag?

#9 tiocsti

tiocsti

rekcah-rebÜ

• Banned
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:49 AM

The only really intense thing I intend on doing with this box is HDTV (1920x1080 30fps MPEG-2). I want to try and keep it <$300 sans display.

Better hurry before hdtv cards are pulled from the market :)

#10 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

The cheapest high-performance chip you can get is probably an Athlon64 2800/3000. That rolls in at around $125USD. Add a decent Mobo (Asus A8V) ($100), 512MB PC3200 RAM ($80), and a half-decent 2D video card ($80) and you're already exceeding that $300 target (and we haven't gotten to the Hard drive, optical drive, sound card, PSU/Case yet)...

Might want to go for a lower-end Sempron and lower end equipment with an integrated video card at that pricerange. Here's some specs for a $300 system built at a local store:

MD Sempron 2600+ Processor
* MSI KM4M-V Motherboard
* 256MB PC-2700 DDR
* MAXTOR 80GB(7200rpm) HD
* LG 52X32X52 CD-RW
* 64MB Video (Shared)
* 3D PCI Sound (Integrated)
* Ethernet 10/100 LAN (integrated)
* Mitsumi 1.44MB Floppy Drive
* Internet Keyboard
* Internet Scroll Mouse
* Subwoofer 2.1 Speakers
* 300Watt Mid Tower Case
* 3 Years Labour Warranty
* 1 Year Parts Warranty

#11 jamesmalone

jamesmalone

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:59 AM

Maybe he means the monitor is going to be $300 because you cna't get a system for 300, a good one that is.

#12 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:41 AM

Question, do you have a caputre card in mind for this?

I already have the capture card. I discovered that my current system is woefully inadequate for the task, which prompted this whole ordeal.

#13 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

Question, do you have a caputre card in mind for this?

I already have the capture card. I discovered that my current system is woefully inadequate for the task, which prompted this whole ordeal.

What are you going to carry over from your current system?
Case? PSU? Optical Drives? Hard Drives?

Or are you starting afresh?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!