- - - - -

redboxing ? over ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_redbox ? over ?_***

GUEST_redbox ? over ?_***
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2003 - 09:27 AM

i read a txt about how redboxing is over..
it confused me ..
is it really over ?

-crash

#2 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:42 AM

From what I know about redboxing in the US (which is from reading stuff online/RFA) it will only truly be over when payphones which accept coins are discontinued.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 12:11 PM

redboxing, as you have read about and heard about in its original state, is almost 100% over.

The are new wyas of doing the same thing, but IMHO, the term "red boxing" no longer works. But I am sure dual will correct me.

#4 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,212 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 04:34 AM

red boxing is dead in most inter-citys if you live out in the middle of no where you might be able to box a few calls. Theres also quite a few payphone companys that mute the handset until you input your money.

My advice is don't waste your time with red boxing. Learn about cocots and other ways of going about getting free phone calls.

<note>
Phreaking is not all about getting free calls.
</note>

#5 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:17 AM

Phreaking is not all about getting free calls.

Exactly.

A phone that takes red box tones is very rare. I've heard of one in my metropolitan area, but haven't bothered to find it. Red boxing does still work through an op... so I've heard.

#6 lokey

lokey

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:01 AM

a while ago i tried getting an op to dial for me, and when she asked me to enter my quarter i could tell that she was muting the handset, because she could not hear me talking . i also think that she was checking for tones because she made me put my quarter in like five times. so i guess if you could get around the muted mouthpiece , you could send tones, but i havent tried it.

#7 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:18 AM

there is a box that is basicaly a battery and wire hooked up to the mouth piece.... mute box maybe!

#8 screamer

screamer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:20 AM

<rant>

Red boxing is a fun bit of phone phreak tradition, much like the infamous blue box. The difference is, most red boxers did what they did just to get a free phone call. I'm not arguing for or against, I'm just saying it's pretty damn boring if you're really into being a phreak. Hell, I could just use my weekend minutes with my cell and call whoever I want, why go through the trouble of trying to fool an operator? The blue box on the other hand, was originally designed to allow phreaks to control the phone network just like an operator. You could route calls however you wanted, wherever you wanted, whenever you wanted. You could start conference calls, check particular phone trunks, have fun tandem stacking, listen to recordings in far off places, and do everything else phreaks dream about.

So yeah, red/beige boxing are cool in concept, but they don't really give you any added control over the telephone network. As I'm often saying, today's phreak learns how to manipulate the system, not necessarily exploit it. But as usual, that's just moi.

</rant>

#9 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:44 PM

Afriend of mine back at PLA, well his cd player was messed up and well he called the op and asked her is their were any payfones around here that were redbox friendly (and we live in a fairly nice sized city (the 2nd biggest in iowa... METH!!!! yeah) and well she got her higher power and he asked him whats the problem sir, well he asked the same question, so he gets his higherpower and the higherpower dude asked hi the same question again so my friend was gettin mad so he played the tones (shitty as they might be) and he was like "oh youi inserted 50 cents who would you like to call" and that was one of thoes fones that you dream of messing with, ya know the ones.. with the litle screen that talks to you as you work its slots (brand new qwest payfones) so i thought it was funny, then i got to peabodies (a coffee shop down town that always has great bands playing) and i was sitting in their little walk way below their little payfone, their fone rings and the payfone rings with it, so the payfone runs on the same like, so i get on the fone and hold my hand over the mike untill they hand up and their was no modem sound inside that i herd so its not a cocot, but it looks older than i am, an ugly puke green, and a piece of shiza... i couldnt get a free call on it without my stuff with me so what im thinking is taking it down (about 35 40 pounds at the most) and unplugging the fone from the back and putting my little invention i made (accualy its not an invention i made just a homemade version of one of tjoes fone plug ing that you plug multible likes in it) and pluging it back in and using my beige ... then ill keep the line pluged in and hide it behind the fone.... well thatll be funny if it works....
sorry for the bad grammer and spelin :) im half awake from being at peabodies lastnight
and sorry for making you read this post that makes no sence what so ever

spaz :grr:

#10 unity

unity

Ten Ten Three Two Three

• 1,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:12 AM

Doesnt redboxing still work with older payphones that run ACTS?

#11 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:46 AM

well me im in a nice sized city what is the 3rd biggest in iowa (30 000 people but thats off the top of my head) and not many payfones around here are able to be red boxed... but if you go down town and see the payfones without a qwest logo on them (or any logo at that) that tell me its a cocot, well ive learned a bit on them, done my mins on them, and got bord with them, the only thing i do with the payfones anymore is have a seing day out... well such as gettin the unlised numbers (like my central office) its a good tool the payfone is...
also if you like to mess with cards on them... but i cant see how people dont like using their linmen (beige box) thats probibly my fav tool i made just because its one of the only ones i fried the hell out of (ones that i made with circut boards, breadboard, etc... but right now im working on making a dtmf decoder (my pager blew up on me too, the damed thing) but ill have fun with that then go to other stuff...
a tip for you people learning about redboxing, if you live in a nice sized city then go downtown to the run down areas and hop on one of the shiza phones... thoes always wanna work with me,
for the bluebox, that was a cool tool but you gotta admit many of the people who made them only did it for the 2600 trick (not saying all because alot of the more wise phreaks did act like an opp)

Spaz :grr:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!