#1 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 923 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:45 AM

I was unsure if this article was mentioned on boards

http://www.technolog...ald1204.asp?p=1

The company astonished Wall Street and telecom insiders in January when it announced that it would spend $2 billion over the next two years to move to Internet-type switchinga far more ambitious overhaul than those planned by its sibling phone companies, such as SBC and BellSouth.
It would be easy to mistake the Baldwin Park central office for a museum of the history of telephony: the building has hosted three generations of phone network technology since its construction early in the last century. The first and longest-lived technology was the step switch.For decades, step switches occupied thousands of central offices, whirring, clicking, and banging as they opened circuits and shunted calls to their destinations.
In Baldwin Park, the mechanical step switches were finally ripped out in the 1970s and replaced with digital switches. All thats left of the old apparatus are two walls of steel coils big enough to hold wine bottles. Now 11 rows of digital circuit-switching equipment house thousands of playing-card-sized circuit boards. Copper wires running from homes and businesses across Baldwin Park and parts of adjacent communities terminate here

#2 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'll have to go out to Baldwin Park sometime in the near future and make a recording of the packet switch for all of you to listen to.

#3 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,837 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:13 PM

I'll have to go out to Baldwin Park sometime in the near future and make a recording of the packet switch for all of you to listen to.

Yes. You you do. Now. :D

#4 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

I love the old switches :wub: :grr:

#5 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

the new ones seem kind of cool though. atleast i think so, which is why i did the mount vernon backspoofs on verizons first softswitch in use.

#6 Minion

Minion

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:02 PM

Question is:

What are they doing with the old switches.

#7 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:06 PM

Usually, they keep around the old switches to use as parts for maintining the existing switches.

#8 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:50 PM

Do parts ever... Umm... Make their way to the internet.

#9 natas

natas

De La Natas

• 4,273 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

theres all kinds of surplus telephone equipment dealers on the internet and eBay. search 5ESS or Nortel DMS and every once and awhile youll find partial switches for sale (but theyre not cheap).

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!