46 replies to this topic

#21 Cr45 Du57

Cr45 Du57

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:32 PM

Funny story time:

Im 15, but from 12-14, I would have the craziest Deja vu. I was and still am into MMORPGs, and I would dream of stuff happening in it. Now, when it would occur, it wouldnt be anything close to the near future.

One particular incident where was when, I had a dream, where a guy I knew was in a particular zone, in one particular spot. I remember everything from the way he looked, to the class he was. When I woke up, I said wtf to myself, because it seemed like something very improbable. Sure enough around 3 months later, I saw myself staring at the exact same scene.

This happans to me all the time.... but rarely with video games. I get it more with real life events..... ;)

#22 scott

scott

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

some of the dreams i have, im not sure if im actually controlling it or what, but ill either be watching tv or listening to music or reading something, but when i really look to read it or watch it, its like nothing. its like im making it up in my mind as i go and when i try to remember what i had just read or watched, its just like someone took it and scrambled it into nothing and i can see it. its really wierd.

and ive also had dreams of that part in jaws where the shark is eating the boat and they guy slides into jaws mouth. and of walls closing in on me

#23 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:32 AM

dreams? forget about that stuff, who needs sleep anymore? not me.

#24 sekel

sekel

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:16 PM

I also have really wierd deja vu experiences that last upwards of thirty minutes or so. Many time I am actually able to tell what is going to happen next because it seems so familiar to me. Many times I will tell my wife "hey watch [whatever]" and a few minutes later is happens. She is beginning to get used to this as well as many of my strange behaviours. When I was younger I had two seizures in one night, its the only two I have ever had. When they took me to the hospital they montired my brain waves and information of course and they said that my brain is more active when I am asleep than most peoples are when they are wide awake although they couldn't give me any implications about what that could mean. The also never figured out what cause the seizures. It would seem that they were caused by the mix of my falling asleep in the car (which apparently was leaking gas fumes into the car but only in small amounts) and that mixed with my strange brain activity while asleep caused this.

#25 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:33 PM

I herd about this long ago but never really read into it till I read "confessions of an english opium"

#26 Unwanted

Unwanted

H4x0r

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

I do this all the time. Just close your eyes and project your day-dream/fantasy into your eye lids like its a movie screen. Now walk through your eye lids into that daydream and live it.

It takes practice, but that is the most direct method I can think of in words.

#27 Minion

Minion

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:21 PM

Caustiq, every single human's subconscious is much much more complex than their conciousness. This is simple to understand. You haven't conciously acknowledged that your left ear exists, until you just read that. However, your subconcious parts have been taking care of it all along. If someone throws a football at your face, you're going to instantly recoil if you notice it. It wasn't a conscious decision where you went throuw a sequence of thinking, it was instantaneous reaction.

#28 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:56 PM

I've had like two lucid dreams, and one included having a ring of pay phone keys. I hate when I can tell I'm dreaming but can't control it. I can tell because the building and other things are all messed up, but there is nothing I can do. Its weird, if I realize I'm dreaming then one wrong thought will wake me, and other times I'll just suddenly go hey wait this is boring and wake. I havent had good sleep in a while though. The last dream I can think of out of no where I was trying to win a car, it turned out my radio alarm was to quiet so instead of waking me, it just entered the dream.

One thing I'd like an explination for is when i was younger for like 4 years around the same time every year (St. Patricks day about) I would have a dream that I had a year before. I don't even remember the dream, I remember the feeling when I relized I had done that before. The only part I remember is just before waking I go wait a second, this seems... WAKE.

You haven't conciously acknowledged that your left ear exists, until you just read that.

You just played a big trick on my mind, so umm, your right foot!

#29 mausa

mausa

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

One thing that i wanted to know:
Has anyone ever managed to read something in their sleep?

Because everytime i am able to read in a dream i have to concentrate very hard. And even then, it's as if the letters move and i cannot get any information out of the text.

#30 Caustiq

Caustiq

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

Caustiq, every single human's subconscious is much much more complex than their conciousness. This is simple to understand.

Yes. What I was trying to point out is that I'm able to consciously observe my subconscious, when lucid dreaming and when just waking up. I experience this much much more than the average person. To be able to actually examine those crazy and complex thoughts makes them seem that much more unique I guess.

Edited by Caustiq, 25 February 2005 - 06:37 PM.

#31 Caustiq

Caustiq

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:36 PM

One thing that i wanted to know:
Has anyone ever managed to read something in their sleep?

I was just discussing this with a couple friends at the university. The answer is yes, we can (atleast I can say from my dreams) read in our dreams. Although not as we normally would. I can make out numbers and letters in text and identify words. But I'm often not entirely sure about it, and when I attempt to re-read the text changes or blurs out of focus completely. I say we don't read in dreams as we normally do because often times our minds simply know that this text they are looking at represents a certain word or phrase. Although I have never found myself reading a complete sentence, or paragraph for that matter.

Edited by Caustiq, 25 February 2005 - 06:39 PM.

#32 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

i've had lucid dreams a couple times. The most recent was a dream of being in school, in class actually. It was a regular day and i was talking to somebody, i couldn't make out his face, but i knew who he was and he threw a pencil at my face. I saw the pencil flying towards me and i jerked back and hit my head on the headboard and woke up, it was awesome :)

Also, I have the most control on my dreams when i wake up early in the morning and then go back to sleep.

#33 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:04 PM

So I did some experimenting... I tried having a lucid dream and I did.

First off most of you said you usually have lucid dreams when you wake up in the morning and go back to sleep. Well this made me come to the conclusion that most people will have control over their dreams if they involve them selves in some kind of sleeping meditation that involves using on of our 4 senes ( mainly listening to music, which involves your ears)

So a night ago I decided to try listening to music while trying to go to sleep. Well what I remember expierencing is that I got very tired but it took me a while to go to sleep because I was listening to music which would cause me to use my brain. Well I ended up falling asleep I think but not fully because I still remember listening to music but being able to walk around and talk. I wasnt sure where I was but it was kool, and im not sure how long this lasted either.

I do remember waking up around 2 in the morning taking off my head phones and then falling back asleep. But this time I had a harder time doing what I wanted to do. Im assuming this was again around 4 or 5 in the morning. But this time I was dreaming that I was having sex with this one chick from high school. But like I said it was harder to control the dream this time then my first. Im geussing is because I was fully asleep in a sense and was not using none of my 4 senses, which would cause some one to use their brain.

Any ways maybe some one should try listening to music while falling asleep and see what it does for them. By the way I was listening to Santana, if that matters?

Edited by SUB-S0NIX, 26 February 2005 - 03:05 PM.

#34 apollyon

apollyon

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:01 AM

here's some info from wikipedia on Sleep Paralysis and Lucid Dreaming

http://en.wikipedia....Sleep_paralysis

http://en.wikipedia..../Lucid_dreaming

when i took psych this past semester we went into various sleeping states and disorders like sleep apnea, insomnia, lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis. it seems that the brain disables or paralysis your body temporarily during REM sleep to avoid you flailing about and damaging yourself, as well as filtering out superfluous environmental noise and sensory info. i, myself have experienced both lucid dreaming and had a long stint of insomnia(not fun). the last lucid experince i had was odd. i was unable to change the dreamscape(or rather nightmare-scape) however i was able to control and augment myself. i remember a dark figured trying to get at me and someone in some strange apartment i have never seen before, i (and this is silly) made myself have freddy claws and the figured went away. there was also a layer of dreaming outside of that that seemed like i was awake. i remember laying in bed and seeing my cat reach up for the betta in it's bowl and me getting pissed and sitting up to yell at it, then i woke up paralyzed and the car was nowhere to be found, rather than panicking that i couldn't control my breathing or get up i tried to go back to sleep and was successful. things like this happened and the multilayered-ness continued the rest of the night and i still remember it all quite vividly.

to the person talking about sovling problems in thier sleep, when i was little and took martial arts classes my mother said that on the night before testing(where you graduate to another belt) i would be practicing my forms(a series of techniques or "moves" performed in sequence) in my sleep, going thru the motions of my kata for a good portion of the night. i don't remember any of it but i guess this happened every time. sometimes i've awoke with answers to CS problems that have been bothering me all day. this hasn't happened in a while tho, i think due to how scatterbrained i've been lately.

#35 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:51 PM

I don't have too many fully lucid dreams, but I have been able to to control my way out out of bad dreams, I was being chased by some guy with a gun and was able to suddenly make the gun switch hands. Some times you don't need full control to change things in your favor.

#36 Jberryman

Jberryman

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:36 PM

I used to experience a recurrent nightmare that was the most vivid and terrifying of any of the dreams I've had, and I think comes close to being lucid because I felt conscious in a sense, although I was 'stuck' in the dream. But then maybe it is so vivid because I would always wake up afterwards.
Anyway, the interesting thing about this nightmare is that it was entirely abstract, without any objects or anything recognizable from the real world. It was always entirely in black and white, and 'staticy'. These sort of fuzzy black orbs would fly at me or back and fourth or along these implied tracks. They had a sound associated with them that was like a pure high-pitched tone that would slowly grow in loudness until I didn't think I could stand it, and then it would die back down. It was like I had to keep track of all these things flying around or else something terrible would happen, and I had to time whatever I was doing just perfectly. I haven't had this in years.
Anyone else have a really terrifying abstract nightmare like this?

#37 ennui

ennui

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:44 PM

I have reoccuring dreams all the time or dream series.. like different episodes.. also.. I dream about the future and have a pretty high turnout rate. Precognition is cool!

#38 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

I noticed that the best way to go lucid or semi-lucid is to start remembering some things from your past every few minutes or so. This will become a habit and soon, in your dream, you'll be walking around and you'll start to remember some old memory and this will make you realize that you're dreaming. It seems to me that your dream self only has a lasting short term memory. Once an old term memory comesd into play your real safe tends to come out in the dream.

#39 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:13 PM

I love episode dreams, where each night is like being in a new episode of a tv show.

#40 Rpm

Rpm

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:44 AM

i had a lucid dream one time-i was a little kid and kept having the same nightmare.
for three nights in a row i told myself i would know when i am dreaming. on the third night i did (wont go into details) and never had that nightmare again. also-
now that i'm much older i havent been able to do it again :(

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!