• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

/dev/zero > C:\WINDOWS

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:20 PM

I'm sure this is on google, but I was wondering if anyone here can actually have lucid dreams and if they can give me any tips on easy ways to do it. (yeah right)

I'm pretty interested in lucid dreams. ^_^

#2 TelcoBob

TelcoBob

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

this lucid dreamings stuff sounds a lot like Tibetan dream yoga

http://www.lucidity....eamingFAQ2.html

looked like a pretty good source of info on lucid dreaming

Edited by TelcoBob, 23 February 2005 - 05:08 PM.

#3 pbx43k

pbx43k

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

The secret to lucid dreaming is becoming consciously aware that you are in fact asleep. This sounds like an impossibility, being conscious while asleep, but it is indeed possible. It takes training to make yourself aware and it is difficult to remain in that state.

There are masks that will detect when you go into REM sleep and flash lights. You train yourself to recognize these flashing lights in your dreams.

Combinations of 'drugs' can help induce lucid dreaming. My favorite is 100+ mg B-6, 6 mg melatonin, and some 3000+ mg valerian root. At such large doses of melatonin, it can actually keep you awake (it is the bodies natural signal to induce sleep) and the valerian root keeps you just under the surface. Be careful with B-6. It has psychedelic properties at very high doses. Those doses also happen to cause massive brain damage.

Of course, if you can achieve this state without the use of chemical additives, it is probably your best bet.

pbx43k

#4 elchoaro

elchoaro

• Validating
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

Whoah, let's not jump the gun here. Before you will be able to consistantly become aware of the fact you are dreaming while you are dreaming, you need to bridge a channel between your waking self and dreaming self.

This is pretty much ripped from Castaneda, but a good start is to try to look at your hands while you are dreaming. In fact, do it now. Place your hands in front of you and look at them. Try to remember their features. As you go to sleep attempt to remember that you want to look at your hands. It may take a few weeks, or months, but eventually you should be able to do it. Then the real fun can begin.

#5 Taeweas

Taeweas

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

Wow, first heard of this stuff, but I guess I do it without realizing it.

I fall asleep during some classes, but when I wake up I feel very rested, but my mind didnt fully go to sleep (lacking vocab). I can still kind of remember what the teacher was talking about, but not with great detail.

This shit sounds cool!

#6 matt

matt

/dev/zero > C:\WINDOWS

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

lucid dreaming is when you become aware that you are asleep, and dreaming. You can take control of your dreams and do whatever you want to.

Edited by matt, 23 February 2005 - 06:13 PM.

#7 latiffs

latiffs

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:23 PM

Sounds really fun. I'll try it when i go to sleep.

#8 kern_alert

kern_alert

mad 1337

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

I don't dream or at least I don't remember my dreams often, but when I'm dreaming, the architecture of buildings I'm familiar with is completely altered. I guess I've programmed my mind to recognize this, because it always tips me off that I'm asleep and dreaming.

Unfortunately, I cant think I want to do something and make it so within my dreams. I have to think that something is going to happen, or that it might happen, and then it does. I cant consciously will something to happen. I guess control really is an illusion, even inside your own head - for me anyway ;)

#9 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:41 PM

the only times I've heard of this is associated with drugs, which are bad mmmkay :nono:

#10 sekel

sekel

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

When I was younger (7-13) I could do this without effort. It just happened. Now if/when I dream I still become aware of it occasionally but am unable to take control of the dreams most times.

#11 Audd1ty

Audd1ty

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

I've done this a few times. It's really cool when it happens, but I can't consitently do it.

#12 kun0

kun0

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:30 PM

I've heard about it and I think it happened to me before, but I'm not quite sure.

For some reason when I heard "lucid dreams" I think of the movie: Vanilla Sky.

#13 mausa

mausa

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

I read somewhere, that for being able to lucid dream, you need to remember your dreams. To do that , one good technique is to try to remember and write down your dreams, after you wake up.
I tried it. But it didn't really work out.

#14 Caustiq

Caustiq

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:47 PM

I have been able to invoke lucidity while dreaming ever since I was 10 years old. I have had some of the most amazing experiences (and experiments) while lucid dreaming. I've come to the conclusion that I am in the very small percentile of human beings whose subconscious is equally, if not more complex as their conscious mind (which is why I also have experienced sleep paralysis numerous times). I wake up often finding my subconscious churning away at a programming problem too.

Interesting things to do while lucid: Invoke a mirror. And then walk through it. It will change the dreamscape.
Yes, you can invoke objects, people (usually beautiful chicks more often than males), anything you can imagine -- because you are as conscience as you are reading this, while dreaming. I won't give you any tips that you can't find from the lucid dreaming sites found through google, but I'll give you some tips from my own personal experience.

You won't be able to retain lucidity; or cause events to happen or things to appear through will, without complete and utter confidence that what you desire will come to fruition. This is an odd statement I know, but if you have any doubt at all in your control, you won't have that control. It is possible, but much harder, to spawn things out of thin air right in front of your POV. But if you instead think, "by the time I turn this corner it will be there", then turn the corner to find your object.

The most interesting experiment I performed while lucid was during this amazingly vivid dream I had where I felt like I was astroprojecting. Check this out. I turned lucid, I don't remember what triggered it, but I knew I had to try something crazy to push the limits of my mind. So I thought to myself, "alright you're going to point in a random direction, and what you will find yourself pointing to is an entity that has secret knowledge it wants to share with you." What I found myself pointing to was a women reading a book on a porch of a large house (probably 3 stories large). The porch had no light on, it was at night, and there were a bunch of fireflies all over her yard (I'm assuming the house was hers). Cool shit I thought. So I walked up to her and asked if she had something to tell me. She stops reading and says, "As a matter of fact I do." She said this like she was surprised almost. At this point I got so excited I started to lose lucidity, and before she could say another word I woke up. I was drenched in sweat too, and I never woke up in sweat ever before. I must've been asleep for 12 hours that night.

The environments and characters in my dreams are complex and detailed. And I don't have a problem remembering them when I wake up. If you guys have any questions you want me to answer feel free. Or any experiment ideas.

Edited by Caustiq, 23 February 2005 - 09:48 PM.

#15 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

Hmm.. I was able to do this when I was young and actually was able to have a good night sleep. Now a days I fall asleep in the early morning with hassle and Im very tired during the Mid Day. But has any one every had Day-Ja-Voo ( or however you spell it?) I use to have it all the time, I geuss I had the ability to think up what was going to happen in the near future it was kool because my brain would snap when I encounter day-ja-voo and I would remember that I had once had a dream about the incident that just happened. Weird Shit.

#16 Caustiq

Caustiq

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

Yeah I have déjà vu's more often than lucid dreams, but most people do. I think they're just anomolies of memory.

Edited by Caustiq, 23 February 2005 - 10:02 PM.

#17 Taeweas

Taeweas

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

Funny story time:

Im 15, but from 12-14, I would have the craziest Deja vu. I was and still am into MMORPGs, and I would dream of stuff happening in it. Now, when it would occur, it wouldnt be anything close to the near future.

One particular incident where was when, I had a dream, where a guy I knew was in a particular zone, in one particular spot. I remember everything from the way he looked, to the class he was. When I woke up, I said wtf to myself, because it seemed like something very improbable. Sure enough around 3 months later, I saw myself staring at the exact same scene.

This wasn't the last time strange things occured. However, within the last year, I have not experienced these kind of things, and rarely dream :(

#18 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

I have them all the time without really trying. I have the most control over them if I wake up and then go back to sleep in the morning. I can also pick what I want to have a lucid about if I think about the subject as I got back to sleep. It's kind of like I close my eyes and slip into whatever lucid dream I want.

I don't know if it could be that easy for other people. I remember a lot of my dreams and sometimes I even dream cartoons.

#19 TelcoBob

TelcoBob

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

dreams are crazy...i keep having this reaccuring dream where i'm talking on the phone but i can't understand what the person is saying but i know what they are saying is important...i have no clue what it means but its been bugging me

#20 pixelFiend

pixelFiend

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:07 PM

My sleep has been screwed up for several years now. I average only about 4 hours a night and often wake up at least once during that. I've never needed a lot of sleep, and was a horrible insomniac when I was younger. I can honestly say that I haven't remembered a dream since my son was born in April 2000.

PF

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!