6 replies to this topic

#1 01dsk001

01dsk001

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

http://economictimes...802,curpg-1.cms
A rather nifty little phone even though, "The i-Mate phones are based on a Microsoft operating system".

#2 Bizurke

Bizurke

Thought Criminal

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

what does this have to do with skype? I understand the VoIP and all that but there is no mention of skype. I'm sure there will be a subscriber service just for that phone when it comes to VoIP.

#3 01dsk001

01dsk001

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

This is what page 2 says
" The i-Mate phones are based on a Microsoft operating system and contain radios capable of using both cell and Wi-Fi network.

The network is inexpensively distributed Internet access over short distances and is commonly found in cafes, transportation hubs, hotels and retail outlets.

When you're in a Wi-Fi "hot spot," the Internet phone software lets you dial other Skype users for free, or pay 2 cents a minute for calling traditional phones."

#4 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:40 PM

what does this have to do with skype?  I understand the VoIP and all that but there is no mention of skype. I'm sure there will be a subscriber service just for that phone when it comes to VoIP.

i-mate & Skype form global partnership

Skype Internet telephony software preloaded for first time on new i-mate™ mobile devices

Luxembourg, 10th February, 2005 - Today, i-mate™, industry innovators of wireless device solutions, and Skype Technologies, S.A., the Global Internet Telephony Company™, announced the first wireless mobile handsets preloaded with Skype software.

Newly manufactured i-mate™ PDA2K and i-mate™ PDA2 handsets will be produced with Skype's award-winning software preloaded, enabling i-mate™ owners to use Skype immediately on start-up of their device. Both handsets are dual mode GSM/GPRS Wifi handsets that, with Skype included, allow users to make free, superior quality voice calls wherever they are worldwide. Skype software will also be installed on new i-mate™ JAMs...

http://www.skype.com...2005/imate.html

Edited by Seal, 13 February 2005 - 04:40 PM.

#5 Bizurke

Bizurke

Thought Criminal

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:44 PM

alright now I look like a dumb ass.

#6 smes

smes

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

This is lame. Its just a Pocket PC powered smartphone running the widely available softphone program skype.
What was really cool was the VOIP cellphone service where you would dial a number they gave you, from inside your providers network, then you could dial out from that number. Its free as long as you have free in network calling on your mobile. Slashdot did a story about it a few months back.

#7 Renegade334

Renegade334

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:34 PM

I would rather, honestly, wait until WiMax covers the us and get a WiMax WiSIP phone, if they ever make them.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!