Re-Code.com

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nick84

nick84

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 02:25 PM

“it’s a simple concept, but replacing a products original UPC barcode with the code of another less expensive item sold at the same store enables tremendous saving for you the customer”

“Through this process the customer pays a more reasonable price for what is a quite similar product. It is best to only make slight adjustments such as these to avoid the notice of our competitors”

http://www.re-code.com/index2.php
http://www.re-code.c.../recode_160.mov

#2 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 04:56 PM

Everyone should realize that reatailers do this by accident all the time. You can also pick up items that someone else has previously swapped. I once got a $30 scooter at Wal-Mart for $3.00 and it was not of my doing. In fact, the cashier didn't notice that the UPC she scanned actually rang up as $1.50... and she scanned it twice!

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 05:32 PM

woah, so you can just print these and stick em on shit???
i wonder if the state matters, or the city, it shouldnt, right? if it does then that means i cant use this awesome ahem..."service". Man this kicks ass

#4 decifer

decifer

mad 1337

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 09:22 PM

hmmm i wonder if this works in canada....

#5 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 12:27 AM

UPC labeling is not really as important as to what you have printed but the fact that the stores database has that specific UPC label. Companies often leave devices that print these barcodes that are not always based on the actual products UPC but the stores defined UPC can be found back in a recieving area where each box is given its identifier and then either shelved or stored based on that and a matching dbase location in the back room. Such buisnesses that often keep just the original UPC that I am currently assured by is Target. They take the upc and store up a nice little dbase on them. IF you are not aware currently how this works basicly large companies have to keep a huge database of their products to keep track of loss and purchases. This also is used as a identifier for backroom locations. Ever go into a store and hear "I need a Location check" and then a little walkie talk is heard... They are shouting back and forth the locations based on simple identifier numbers. Get your hand on a PDT and that is like a transmitter that talks to the dbase.. A worker can update these stored locations.. add inventory.. basicly anything in reason regarding the dbase. Yes I rambled off topic a little but it is important to know that not only do these little UPC's control how much the dbase says your gonna pay at the cash register.. but with a pdt and a UPC or a store to play in... you can become far more entertained at the power of what one of those little guns can do to a large corporation.. I will leave out the details.. but trust me... a single PDT can make or break a store.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!