#1 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:17 PM

redhat 9.0 review

by: bland inquisitor

i went to office depot and laid down the $40 for redhat 9 last night. I formatted my HD and installed it. I have to say that i like it very much. It recognized my Prism3 chipset Linksys wpc11 ver.3 802.11 card right out of the box. It also recognized my nvidia geforce go card and my dell laptop monitor. I used gnome with redhat 8, and switched to the new KDE with 9. There are some minor changes with 9 that i like much better than 8. The "taskbar" aligns launchers automatically, better hardware support, and 9 just feels better. The one negative that 9 shares with 8 is the lack of inherent mp3 support. All in all, 9 is a very good distro, and i give it :voteyes: :voteyes:

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:32 PM

one of the lucky things about working at a university is that we get the releases early. I burned the discs a while back, but haven't had the time to install them. :(

Let us know if you run into any problems.

#3 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:55 PM

well i just downloaded redhat 9 it's been forever since i've used nix.... hopefully i won't have a brain fart and funk up my computer....

#4 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:21 PM

wuth redhat there is little chance of that....you're in good hands with redhat.

#5 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:08 AM

Thats the one thing I HATE about redhat, is they took out mp3 support because they felt like being stupid.. it gets to me.

#6 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 813 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 04:42 PM

I remember reading something about mp3 support being taken out due to copyright issues. I know you can download a plugin for XMMS that gives you mp3 support.

#7 sl1pm0de

sl1pm0de

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 09:05 AM

For the last 4 versions of RedHat I have downloaded them from the internet.

RedHat 9.0 is good. I run it as a desktop but I would rather use a different distro like Gentoo for running a server. I like to have that extra control that Gentoo gives me when I am building a server from the ground up.

Redhat has a funny way of letting you get used to a tool in one version and wiping that one out and using a totally different one in the next. I say screw the GUI and just do it the old fasion way. That way you know how to setup linux boxes with other distros that do not use those GUI based tools.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!